The Run In

Still Wednesday, October 14, 2020

"A- Auntie! I thought you were sleeping!"

"Well you thought wrong. Why did you even tryout for tennis?"

"Dearest, sister, she needs, an outlet." Choyun's dad says, still taking deep breaths between words.

"No, she needs to focus on her studies." Her Aunt retorts.

"The girl studies for days without end, give her a break." Choyun's brother, Minwon buds in.

"And that's why you have a C- in two of your classes." The aunt sasses.

Minwon rolls his eye before stepping into the kitchen to pour himself a glass of juice.

"Kang Choyun, you've already caused enough trouble by getting in and out of a relationship and losing your best friend. Listen, I can't tell you what to do," Her aunt leans forward and whispers in her ear. "but if you don't want to end up a loser like your father. I HIGHLY suggest you quit the team."

Choyun wasn't surprised by her aunts words, she always talked like this, but it was so confusing how she could be so mean to her own brother.

Choyun decides not to say anything, she just slowly nods her head and walks away to go to her room.

Choyun sat on her bed before throwing herself back and staring at the ceiling.

"Maybe I don't deserve to have fun... "

Friday, October 16, 2020

The current day is Friday, tomorrow being Choyun's first day of tennis practice. She felt excited but also really nervous. What if her aunt found out? What if the team didn't like her?

Oh wait, she doesn't care about all that stuff. Whether they like her or not, she's going to be the best tennis play the school has ever seen.

Lunch time comes around and Choyun quickly gets her food and gazes around the cafeteria. She hadn't ate in here ever since her friendship with Miyoko had broken off.

She usually sat alone outside in the school garden. She wasn't the only one who ate outside, but she was the only one who ate alone.

She stopped looking around when she met eyes with Donghyuck. He aggressively waved his hand and gestured her over.

Would today be the day Choyun sat with someone else? Would this start a new era for Choyun?

She confidently walks towards Donghyuck's table, only standing 5 feet away when-

"Choyun, I need to speak with you right now!" Counselor Lee says, grabbing Choyun's upper arm and pulling her out of the lunchroom.

Donghyuck makes a confused face before shrugging it off and focusing back to Renjun, who was ranting about a conspiracy he'd just made.

Counselor Lee tells Choyun to take a seat when they get into his office. Choyun was speechless on the current scenario, but didn't mind being in the cool office with a soft armchair.

"Choyun!"

"I didn't do it! It was Miyoko, I swear!"

"What do you mean, you're not in any trouble... ?"

"Oh, sorry. That's just my planned defense."

"Uh... we'll talk about that later. Anywho, I heard you made the girls tennis team!"

"Oh, OH yeah I did! I'm actually, really excited."

"I'm so proud of you! This is the perfect opportunity to make friends."

"Oh, no no no, you've got it all wrong. I'm not trying to make friends. I'm trying to prove to all dumb people who just hit a ball for fun, that tennis is really all about strategy and calculations. I'm also trying to knock that jerk, Suhyoon's, teeth out."

"Miss Kang!"

"Oh sorry, I wasn't supposed to say that last part out loud."

Counselor Lee sighs. "Well, to celebrate you're little victory, I, only for today, will allow you to eat in here today. But the second the bell rings, it's back to class!"

Choyun was happy to eat in peace until she thought about Donghyuck gesturing her over.

She quickly shakes it off, what's the point? They're not friends. Just mere acquaintances.

Choyun is walking through the long and empty corridors of her school, trying to be present at her final class of the day. The halls were empty because she was late, but she stopped by the front office and begged Counselor Lee to write her a slip, which he eventually gave in to and did for her. 

She skips, her books hugged to her chest, and her ponytail swinging back and forth with each stride she takes.

She reaches a 4-way intersection in the hallway, one path leading to the right, another leading left, and the last path leading straight in front of her. Her class could only be reached by taking the right path, so she attempts to go that way. Right as she's about to take the last step before turning, she catches a glimpse of the last person she'd want to see.

Out of fear, she immediately reverses her pathing and slams her back against the lockers near the edge of the hall she originally came from.

"Jaesuk, did you just hear something?"

"Nah, but as I was saying... "

Choyun's eyes widen. She tried so hard to avoid him, so she couldn't believe she was only a few feet away from her ex.

"So, how do you plan to get her back?" A voice ask. It sounded like a boy.

"I think I'm just going to change my whole persona. I'll be so perfect, there's no way she could resist me." Jaesuk spoke with confidence.

Choyun couldn't help but to do the most dramatic eyeroll possible as she throws her head back.

"Are you kidding? He's still trying to get back with me!" She whisper-yells, hoping the two boys won't hear her.

She turns her head to look in direction where came from before coming across the intersection, planning to walk off that way, but she meets eyes with Renjun who is walking straight towards her.

Renjun gets closer to Choyun, a concerned look spreading across his face. In his mind he questions why she is out in the halls and leaning against the lockers.

Choyun tenses up the closer he gets. Hopefully he wouldn't expose her.

When Renjun is right next to her, she tries to shush him, but it was too late.

Before he passes he lets out a, "Hey Choyun."

Everything goes silent.

" Huh? Choyun? Choyun are you there?"

Choyun throws her head back once more in annoyance.

 "Thanks a lot." Choyun mumbles through her teeth before taking off down the hall.

Jaesuk turns the corner and reaches out for Choyun as he watches her runaway. He sighs and puts his arm back down.

He turns back and exchanges a glance with Renjun. He quickly says, "What are you looking at?" Before flipping his hair and walking away.

Renjun stands still with his hands in his pockets, questioning what just happened and why was he involved.