What is Love?

Friday, December 4, 2020 (It all started on a Friday)

"I think you should rejoin the tennis team." Renjun says, blowing on his nails as instructed by Choyun.

"Nah, my aunt would never let me." She responds, reaching out for Renjun's hand so that she can apply the top coat.

They're currently sitting in her bedroom, Choyun painting both of their finger nails black after Renjun lost a bet.

They've become closer and closer within this past week, once again looking like a couple without even trying.

All this time spent together made Choyun forgive herself for all the mistakes she'd made within the fake relationship and caused Renjun's feelings for her to grow even more. Grow to an extent that he himself could not explain.

"Didn't you get two separate speeches about living the life you choose?"

"Yeah but that seems like too much work. I'd rather just chill right now, with you." She says leaning towards him to momentarily lay her head on his shoulder. She sits back upright and finishes off his nails, fanning them to make sure they're fully dry.

"What do you think the boys will say about my nails."

"Not sure, but if they make fun of them I'll do theirs next. Look, we're matching." Choyun ends, holding up their hands side by side to compare.

"What are we gonna do once they dry?"

"Gosh you ask a lot of questions." Choyun jokingly remarks. "You're going to order me food."

"What! Wasn't this punishment enough?"

"Please, this was barely a punishment. Your nails look better than ever and I know you liked me touching your hand."

Renjun turns away to hide the smile on his face. "Skin-ship is stupid."

"Your face is stupid!" She argues.

"That comeback was stupid, but it's okay, they say every duo needs a dumb one."

Choyun scoffs. "Well then I guess we're breaking the rules because we got two."

They both laugh and Renjun glances at Choyun, looking down when she does the same.

"We started fake dating more than a month ago." Renjun brings up out of nowhere.

"So much has changed since then, like I finally have a best friend again."

"Best, friend." Renjun quietly mumbles to himself. He knew in this moment he needed to tell her. He didn't want to lose her, but he was done pretending. "Choyun, I have to tell you something."

"Yeah, what's up?"

"I think I'm starting to believe in love bookworm, but I can't tell you why."

"Y- You love someone?" All of the feelings Choyun used to hold for Renjun started flooding back in. Mainly the heartbreak.

She used to like him so much and the second he finds out, he falls in love with someone else?

"I can't believe you Renjun! After everything we've been through I- I just can't believe-"

"I'm in love with you." They both freeze for a few seconds. "And I hate that I realized it too late. I mean, everything about you is perfect. The way you get excited over seemingly small things and how you put up with every bad thing that comes your way just to protect others. You've been broken so much and I've only added onto it. I'm so sorry. I love you."

"Renjun I-"

"I get if you don't feel the same, I mean these things take time. I just-"

"I love you too." Choyun says.