Trust & Just Friends

Monday, November 9, 2020

Choyun and Renjun meet on their way to lunch period and end up sitting alone together.

The rest of 00' line was trapped in class, taking a test that Renjun finished within seconds, and Chenle & Jisung decided to sit with their same year friends today.

Renjun awkwardly clears his throat as he takes another bite of food from the tray in front of him.

Choyun sighs, opening her lunch box. She rolls her eyes before pushing it away and turning towards Renjun since they are sitting next to each other.

"Can I tell you something bestie?"

Renjun chuckles at the nickname. "I am never going to get used to that."

"Fine, I'll stick with fake boyfriend."

"What about just boyfriend?"

Choyun freezes, tensing up. She notices the concern on Renjun's face and shakes off her nerves.

"Anyways fake boyfriend, I wanted to tell you something. It's kinda personal but I feel like you should know just in case you ever see my family again."

"Okay, I'm listening."

Choyun takes a deep breath in, and then releases.

"I- My... um, I'm half Chinese."

Renjun's eyes expand as he sways back in shock.

"Really?"

"Yup... my mom was born in China and moved here where she met my dad." Renjun stays quiet so she just continues. "I never knew what happened to her, my dad never talks about it and my aunt has been raising me since I was 4."

"I'm so sorry... "

"It's fine," She smiles. "My brother recently told me and I kinda wish I knew sooner. I feel like I've been robbed of my culture, but I guess it was also never really there."

"You don't have to only embrace you're Korean side. You should learn about the culture a little. Maybe than you could feel closer to... "

"My mom." She giggles.

Choyun becomes surprised when Renjun suddenly leans in to hug her. So much for not being into skin-ship.

A blush slowly creeps onto her face as she wraps her arms around him.

"Thanks for feeling comfortable enough to share that with me bookworm."

They enjoy their hug until Miyoko walks pass their table. Of course she couldn't leave without saying, "You two are disgusting."

+

The hug breaks. "So I'm guessing the reason you chose to fake date me is because I'm Chinese?" Renjun smugly queries.

"In you're dreams." She replies in Mandarin.

"You speak Chinese?"

"I've been slowly learning ever since I found out."

Choyun and Renjun's conversation is cut short by two maknaes approaching them.

"Sorry to interrupt, but can we sit here? The people in our grade talk about some weird stuff." Jisung says while twiddling his thumbs.

"Aw, of course you can. Your poor little Jisung ears." Choyun jokes, ruffling his hair before him and Chenle make their way to sit across from the couple.

The rest of 00' line eventually enter the cafeteria (canteen).

"Did you guys finally finish?" Renjun ask as they all pull out their lunches and sit down.

"Nope! Jeno finished and we just copied off of him." Hyuck proudly states.

Renjun sighs, putting his forehead in his hand.

Choyun giggles before mumbling something that makes Donghyuck burst out laughing, Jaemin following soon after.

"What? What'd she say?" Renjun questions, looking back and forth between Hyuck, Choyun, and Jaemin.

"Nothing boyfriend, you wouldn't understand." She responds, laughing again with the boys following.

"What do you mean?" Renjun whines, dragging out the 'e' in mean.

Choyun chuckles, brushing Renjun's bangs aside. "You're so hot when you're oblivious." She teases.

This statement makes Renjun's lips part. He turns away from Choyun, only to notice Miyoko watching them. 'Oh, she only said that because the others are watching. Right?'

He shakes off the weird feeling and stands up, pulling Choyun out into the hall. "Hey, can we chill it with comments like that? I know it's because we're fake dating and everything, but friends don't usually say those kinds of things to each other... "

There it is, the infamous word Choyun had always dreaded hearing from her crushes. Friends. Him using it after she realized her feelings really hurt, but how could she be hurt? That is all they are, all they're supposed to be. Friends playing make pretend.

Renjun made it clear, he only sees her as a friend.

Choyun feels as if every weight is dropped on her, something slowly paining her chest. Heartbreak. She's heartbroken and better yet, has no one to tell.