Choyun Wants Friends

Friday, November 20, 2020

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine Chenle, really." Renjun reassures his Chinese friend as they continue to walk with the rest of the group.

"We gotta go, we'll meet up with you later." Hyuck says before grabbing Jeno & Jaemin's hands and running off.

"Looks like I'm stuck babysitting." Renjun jokes, wrapping his arms around the two maknaes shoulders.

The three of them walk down the hall for a bit until Renjun doesn't watch where he's going and runs into someone.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." A voice emits.

"No it was my fault, I wasn't looking w-"

Jisung speaks up, cutting off Renjun's speech. "Choyun noona?"

Renjun's eyes expand when he sees the girl he had just almost ran over. His heart beat rapidly increases.

"Oh... hey guys." Choyun gives a half smile.

Chenle looks back and forth between Choyun and Renjun, noticing the tension.

Before they knew it, Chenle grabs both their hands and shoves them into an empty room nearby. It is the janitors closet.

Chenle proceeds to slam the door and push against it, demanding Jisung do the same

The door isn't locked, but Renjun has a hard time prying it open from the inside with the two youngers leaning on it.

"Uh, Chenle, why are you blocking the door?" Choyun ask, standing in a corner towards the back so that she's not hovering over Renjun.

"I'm not letting either of you out until you talk about your relationship! I miss hanging out with Choyun and I don't want things to be awkward."

Renjun sighs, leaning his head against the door and not daring to look back at his fake ex.

"Um, Renjun." Choyun says. To be honest, running into him was probably the first time he had crossed her mind in awhile. She feels no overwhelmingly happy feeling such as a crush, nor an underwhelmingly dreadful feeling such as heartbreak. All was just neutral.

He closes his eyes before slowly turning around and keeping the same pace to open them.

"Yes?"

"Can we talk?"

"I don't really think we have a choice." Renjun banters, making Choyun slightly chuckle.

"Right, so things ended on kind of a bad note and that is entirely my fault. I'm so sorry I left the way I did."

"Don't be, you were right. It was supposed to end a day earlier anyways. I shouldn't have pushed it to keep the relationship going."

"See but that's exactly what I did when you added the first expansion, so you shouldn't even feel bad about that. We both made a lot of mistakes that day."

"So, now what. What are we after all of this?"

"I know it can be weird but, can we be friends?" That's honestly all Choyun wanted right now. Her brother and Miyoko were right, no crush is worth all this stress and trouble, but having a friend, a companion that you can easily talk to and create less drama with? That just might be. "Just friends. I don't have many and I've missed you and the Dreamies so much."

"Sure. Let's be friends."

The two let out a breath of relief, they can finally be normal together after all this time.

"Hey, wanna know something kinda stupid?"

"I hangout with Haechan, 'kinda stupid' doesn't surprise me anymore."

The two giggle and Choyun continues.

"So I used to like you. Weird right? It was the whole reason I broke up with you, I didn't want to feel like I was using my crush. Also, it was really hard knowing that the only way you could date the guy you liked is if it were fake. Feelings just suck I guess." Choyun shrugs.

It all made sense now. That's why she'd acted the way she did whenever they'd do couple-like things. That's why she left so suddenly only a day after he made it clear that they're just friends outside of faking it. Feeling suck. Those words really ring through his mind as he thought about everything he has felt in the days following their break up. In the days that Choyun didn't look at him with the dreamy eyes she used to, the days where she'd ignore him for Jaesuk. All Renjun can think of now is her, 'I used to like you.' and 'feelings suck.'

All that he could muster up before Chenle opened the door is, "Yeah, they really do... "