Realization

Still Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Once the dance ends Renjun makes his way home, still feeling pretty conflicted.

He opens the door to reveal his parents sitting together on the couch.

"Hello Renjun. Where have you been?" Mr. Huang ask, setting down his book to look up at his son.

Mrs. Huang wiggles her eyebrows. "Were you with your girlfriend?" She teases.

Renjun sighs, looking down as he slowly closes the door.

"Aw, what's wrong?" Mrs. Huang ask.

"I, m-me. We um, can I have a moment?" Renjun leaves his parents puzzled as he speed-walks to his room.

'Why was I having such a hard time telling them we broke up?' He thinks to himself, sitting on the edge of his bed as he furrows his eyebrows.

He places his hands over his heart, realizing that the beat is irregular and faster than usual. Tears begin to form in his eyes.

'What is wrong with me?'

Renjun sends a quick text informing his parents that they've broken up, not having enough strength to leave his room and say it himself.

His mom knocks on his door a few times, asking if he needs anything, but he doesn't move. He just sits in silence and darkness.

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

"Hey Choyun, did you enjoy the dance yesterday?"

Choyun closes her locker and turns around. "Miss Miyoko, are you actually speaking to me in a public area?" She asks with hints of sarcasm, gesturing at everyone in the hallway.

"Just answer the dang question before any of my friends see me."

Choyun rolls her eyes yet a smile spreads across her face. Her and Miyoko are slowly gravitating back to speaking terms, but Miyoko seems to want to keep it low-key for now.

"I surprisingly did, yes."

"Hmm, and does anyone, I don't know, specific cross your mind when you think of yesterday?"

Choyun pauses to think. "No, not really."

"Great, see you later!" Miyoko ends before rushing off.

Choyun gives it some more thought. Was she supposed to be thinking of anyone specific?

She gives up and heads to class.

Renjun drags his feet as he enters the school.

"Ew, what's wrong with your face?" Hyuck gasp, pointing to the dark circles under his eyes and the lack of attention to his hair.

"Grey hoodie, bedhead? Guys, Renjun is sad." Jaemin frowns.

"I mean, he did just go through a fake break up." Jeno shrugs.

"Key word, fake. That can't be what's bring you down." Hyuck says.

He glances towards Choyun all day but she doesn't look back once. They used to always catch each others eyes but it seems for the past few days she has been interested in something else.

Truth be told, Renjun cannot stop thinking about her. Why did she break up with him? Was it because she started liking Jaesuk towards the end of their fake relationship, or could it be that she did truly have feelings for Renjun like Jaemin claimed. Why does Renjun keep wishing that the truth is the second one?

Renjun has finally completely stopped crossing Choyun's mind.

But at the same time, she is finally beginning to cross his.