Practice & Thinking to Yourself

Saturday, October 17, 2020

Choyun changes into a white tennis dress and ties her hair up into two high pigtails. She places her visor on top her head and looks at herself in the mirror.

 She places her visor on top her head and looks at herself in the mirror

She turns to face the string bag sitting at the edge of her bed

She turns to face the string bag sitting at the edge of her bed. "Racket? Check. Water bottle? Filled to the rim. I'm ready for tennis practice!"

"Ready for what?" Choyun hears a muffled yell from the hallway.

"Nothing auntie, just going to the library!" She quickly lets out, growing anxious that her aunt might find out. "I'm ready for tennis practice." Choyun makes sure to whisper this time.

She grabs her bag and quickly slips out of her room, running down the stairs and straight for the front door.

Once outside, she catches her breath and takes a quiet stroll towards the school.

"Come on guys, we have to go to support her. It'll mean so much!"

"Haechan, she doesn't even think of you as a friend."

"I know Jisung, but we can change that!"

"You're too optimistic. Why don't we just go to the arcade and-"

"No!" Jaemin cuts Chenle off. "If Haechan wants us to support his friend, then we'll do it."

"You guys are all so dramatic. Have fun, I'll be in the library." Renjun says, beginning to walk off.

"Oh no you don't!" Donghyuck grabs Renjun's arm and pulls him back. "You're coming with us. Let's go boys!"

Choyun finally arrives right outside of the tennis court.

"Hey girl, you ready for your first day of practice?" The team captain, who Choyun came to learns name is Hyejin, ask. She approaches the entrance gates surrounding the court and opens it allowing Choyun to step in.

"Yeah." Choyun responds nonchalantly. She acted cool, but on the inside she could barely hold her composer. She'd been excitedly awaiting this moment since the tryouts.