Just Dance

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Choyun puts on a white ruffled blouse and a black circle-skirt.

"Maybe I shouldn't do this... " She mumbles to herself as she adjust her hair in the mirror. Appearing from seemingly nowhere, Minwon leans against the bathroom's door frame.

"Do what?"

Choyun jumps hearing her brothers voice but quickly calms down. "Go to the dance with Jaesuk."

Minwon sighs. "Do you wanna know what I think?"

"Not really, no."

Minwon chuckles. "You just got out of a relationship with Renjun, why are you already running back to your ex?"

"Well me and Renjun were only fake dating to get Jaesuk to leave me alone, but then we became really close and I accidently gained feelings for him. I had to break up with him so that I'd stop using someone who I now really care about. I'm utilizing tonight to get over it."

"Choyun. You've been too worried about everyone but yourself. Trying to do this and that for Jaesuk and constantly worrying about Renjun. You need to take a step back and do what you want to do."

"That didn't work out too well with tennis."

"Well, what does Choyun want to do other than play tennis?"

"To date Renjun." She fake smiles. Minwon gives her a bored expression and lifts one eyebrow. She sighs. "Choyun wants to stop feeling lonely, Choyun wants friends."

"Well your not going to make friends just by standing around here, are you. Go to that dance and do what you want to do, whether that means ditching Jaesuk or not."

Choyun smiles, for real this time, and gives Minwon a quick hug before running out the house.

She makes it to school and enters through the gym, where the dance is being held.

Jaesuk is sitting alone at a table. He places his phone down and waves her over.

"Wow, you actually showed. You look, amazing." Suk compliments in a breathy tone.

"Yeah. Thanks. Where's the snack table?" Choyun quickly says, looking around the room.

"Oh... " He points opposite of where they're standing. "Over there-"

"Great! I'll be right back." She smiles, gently rubbing his shoulder before jogging away.

Choyun wants a snack first. It will help energize her for whatever the night has in store.

The closer she gets to the certain area, the more her eyes make out the figure who is hunched over the punch bowl. It's Jeno.

Her jog slows to a mere walk before she fully pauses.

"J- Jeno's here?" She turns her head slightly to the right. "And so is Jaemin, which means... " Choyun feels her heart break all over again. She really thought she'd be fine when it came to him, but she felt her legs turn to jelly. No longer able to walk, she falls to her knees.

"What's your problem?" An annoyed voice snares, looking down at the girl who is uncontrollably sobbing. The person attached to the voice helps Choyun up and throws her arm around their shoulder before walking her out of the room.

They enter the bathroom and Choyun gets thrown towards the sink as the annoyed girl presses her back against the wall.

"Th- Thank you Mi- Miyoko." Choyun speaks in between cries.

"What did Jaesuk do this time?" Miyoko crosses her arms and rolls her eyes.

"Wh- What do you mean?" Choyun ask while washing her face.

"We used to be best friends. I know your boy cry." Miyoko says, walking towards Choyun and offering her some tissues.

"Well it's not about Jaesuk this time. It's about Renjun."

"Was the break up too hard? You know it was never my intention for you two to break up... " Miyoko drifts off, losing the nonchalant tone and sounding genuinely concerned.

"It's not your fault. It's just, I still like him sooo much. He was so kind to me and I could tell him things I'd never tell anyone. He brought back my joy after you left me, and now he's gone. But I guess I never really had him in the first place."

"Girl you relied on him too much." Miyoko claims, causing Choyun to give her a questioning look. "He seems like a great guy but it isn't his job to fix your problems. You have to sort yourself out before getting into a relationship."

Choyun chuckles. "I guess I'm not as smart as I thought."

"Look." Miyoko states putting both of her hands onto Choyun's shoulders and staring into her eyes. "I am a horrible friend for leaving you, but it had nothing to do with you. It's not your fault in the slightest. I know that's not the best closure, but it's all I feel comfortable talking about right now."

Choyun cocks her head to the side. So there was a reason behind Miyoko ditching her.

"We've all made mistakes, stop thinking that you don't deserve a little happiness after the fact, okay?"

Choyun nods and goes in to hug Miyoko who instantly reciprocates.

"I'm sorry things didn't work out with Renjun, but he's not a bad person. You shouldn't be scared of seeing him and you should feel proud of what you've achieved with him, not sad about what is broken. You go find your happiness without me, because frankly, I don't deserve to be the main reason it exist anymore. Maybe one day I can be in your best life and tell you the truth. But for now I'm nothing special, I'll come and go. You need to find you're forever, and it might just be waiting for you on that dance floor."

With this in mind, Choyun goes back to Jaesuk. He brightly smiles and offers his hand as a slow song begins to play. Choyun sets boundaries and tells him not to get too close.

They dance the night away, every new song making Renjun fade more and more from Choyun's mind.

She doesn't look at him even once.

But he stares at her the whole time, completely forlorn that he never caught her eye.

Author: Hi there! Idk why updates are taking so long, I literally have the last few pages written out but I haven't found the time to edit them. 😅 I really hope I can have the last few pages out in the next 12 hours, but no promises. Again sorry for being so inconsistent and I love you all <3