Quit

Friday, November 13, 2020

"Hey Choyun, are you excited for the game after school today?" Counselor Lee ask.

Truth is, no. Choyun is anything but excited for tonight's tennis game. She normally would be happy, but it was just last week when Renjun had promise to come to this specific game, inviting his parents as well.

Maybe he wouldn't show since they had broken up, but she couldn't shake off the nerves that he just might.

"Yep, stoked." She lies. She has really gotta stop doing that."

The day ends and Choyun makes way to the tennis court.

"So girls, are we going to have a good game tonight?" Coach Hyejin ask.

"Yeah! We're going to beat the other team's butts!" Suhyoon exclaims.

Choyun just keeps her head down and stays quiet.

Hyejin makes an attempt to ask if Choyun's alright, but Choyun just shakes it off and continues practicing.

Practice ends and the girls go inside to take a break and get some water as people start filling in the stands for the game in a few minutes.

Jeno, Renjun, Donghyuck, and Jaemin all give their tickets to the person collecting them and sit down on the bleachers, looking towards the tennis court.

Renjun had bought the tickets in advance and planned on throwing them out, but Hyuck forced him to come anyway.

"It'll be fine. You just cheer on our team and we'll be out of here. You don't have to talk to her once." Hyuck reassures.

Renjun sighs and nods. He is at ease until they hear a scream erupt from the court.

"Hey Dreamies!" Suhyoon shouts, causing the entire tennis team to direct their eyes up towards the boys.

Choyun and Renjun momentarily make eye contact before Choyun turns away and glares at the ground, trying not to cry.

"Or maybe not." Hyuck shrugs, tossing some popcorn into his mouth.

" Hyuck shrugs, tossing some popcorn into his mouth

The game begins. It's the other teams serve and Choyun is standing in the returners position, Hyejin standing as returner's partner.

The ball is served and Choyun stands still as she watches it bounce past her.

"Choyun, what the heck!" Hyejin whisper scolds.

"S- Sorry. I'll be ready next time."

They get back into their places and the ball is served once again. Choyun hits it back and the server's partner strikes it to Hyejin who hits it back to the server, her playing it back towards Choyun who moves to the side to try and hit the ball, but misses by a few centimeters.

"Are you okay Choyun? You're usually better than this." Hyejin ask.

"I- I don't know." Choyun responds making Hyejin sigh.

"Just- Just go get some water, I'll put Suhyoon in."

Choyun jogs off the field. Miyoko is sitting in the front row next to all her friends. She fake pouts and smirks, waving to Choyun as she runs past.

Renjun can't help but feel somewhat guilty and looks down at his feet.

The game ends, Choyun's team losing by one point. The one point Suhyoon blamed Choyun for because of the start of the game.

Choyun goes home defeated. She walks through the door and throws herself down face first onto the couch. Choyun's aunt is sitting at the kitchen table finishing up her dinner.

"Hello sweetie, how was your outing?"

"Fine."

"That's good, that's good. Um, I have something to ask you."

"What is it?"

"Well I've been doing some research about your school and found out that the only club that holds meets every Saturday is the tennis team, which must mean-"

"Fine. Whatever. I'll quit. I just, really can't deal with this right now... "

"Why, what's the matter?"

Choyun sits up and looks directly at her aunt. "I broke up with Renjun." A teardrop rolls down her face.