Family Meeting

Sunday, November 1, 2020

Choyun springs awake, throwing the covers off her body.

What happened? Was it all a dream?

How could she have tucked herself in if she had passed out?

Choyun slowly grasp the diary sitting at the foot of her bed, using her pointer finger and thumb to lift it only by the cover.

She places the book onto her lap and re-reads the section she wrote about Renjun, not feeling quite the same as she did yesterday. Yes, her heartbeat did quicken at the remembrance of the 'kiss', but nothing pass out worth.

"Maybe I was just being dramatic? I probably shouldn't have drunk what ever was in that punch." She sighs, tossing her diary to the side. "There's no way I have a crush on my fake boyfriend, that'd be too cliché."

Choyun stares at a wall for a few seconds until she recalls the lunch that her and Renjun's families had arranged for later today.

She curses under her breath as she rushes to ready herself for the day ahead.

Choyun enters the living room to see the rest of her family already there and dressed.

Minwon wore a black hoodie with a blue jean jacket over it.

Her aunt wore a basic blue Sunday dress, and her father was dressed in sweats.

Choyun facepalms. "Nothing screams 'meeting the parents' like gray sweats."

Mr. Yang smiles as he takes a deep breath in and releases. "Nothing's better than comfortably meditating in the outdoors." He taps his daughters nose. "And they might actually appreciate my laid-back style."

"I'm sure dad isn't trying to impress anyone, but it seems like you are. Auntie, make her change!" Minwon whines.

Their aunt rolls her eyes. "Choyun, you look great."

Minwon pouts, not liking the idea of his sister with a boy.

Choyun looks down at her outfit, a mid-length white dress covered small, embroidered flowers. That, paired with black flats.

She was unsure of why she had dressed this way. She would've totally preferred to be in a t-shirt and some jeans.

Choyun concludes that she always goes all out when it comes to Renjun, mainly to try and sell their fake relationship more. Although, it's not likely anyone from their school would run into them today. Maybe she was just trying make his parents believe? Yeah, that's it.

They finally make it to the park they'd all agreed to meet at.

The Huang's were already there, sitting at a picnic table and waving as the Yang's approach.

"Come, take a seat. It's so nice to meet you." Mr. Huang greets, shaking hands with Choyun's father.

"The pleasure's all mine." Mr. Yang greets back at the Huang parents. His smile only widens as a looks down towards Renjun. "And you must be my Choyun's boyfriend."

"Delighted to make your acquaintance, sir." Renjun replies, facing Mr. Yang. Choyun scoffs, softly laughing with herself when she hears Renjun's formal speech. She's amused by his attempt at a good first impression, with his long brown coat over top a plain white button up. That was, until she looks down at her dress again. 'Shoot, I'm doing it too!' She thinks.

"Is something funny?" Choyun's aunt threatens through her teeth, never dropping her smile.

"Nothing at all." Choyun puts on a nice face, deciding to play along in what ever fake awkward tension they had going on.

All the Huang's sat on one side of the table, Mrs. Huang sitting at the left end, across from Choyun's aunt. Mr. Yang sits next to her and across from Mr. Huang. Choyun is seated by her father, across from Renjun. And Minwon? He sits alone at the far right.

"So, Renjun mentioned that you play tennis?" Mrs. Huang gestures to Choyun as she removes food containers from a basket. The Huang's were in charge of bringing the lunch foods while the Yang's brought drinks and deserts.

"You, what?" Choyun's aunt glares at her niece.

"Uh... I think we left our cooler/ice box in the trunk of the car. I'll go get it!" Choyun excuse herself, standing up and bowing before speed-walking away from the table.

"I'll go help her." Renjun flashes a smile before excusing himself as well.

The two meet where Mr. Yang's car is parked, Renjun watching as the smaller girl opens the trunk.

"Why'd you tell your mom about my tennis!" Choyun exclaims, struggling to lift the cooler. Renjun offers to help, but she just slaps his hand away.

"I didn't know it was a secret! You really like lying to people, huh?"

Choyun sighs, finally removing the cooler and placing it onto the road in front of them. She plops down onto it, hunching over with her elbows propped up on her thighs and her chin on top both of her fist.

"That's only two lies. Maybe if I wasn't so guarded all the time by a pushy ex and an overprotective aunt I could be more honest about things!" Choyun pauses, "I'm sorry for complaining."

Now it's Renjun's turn to sigh. He taps on Choyun's shoulder a few times, telling her to get up off the cooler. He pulls out the handle and begins wheeling it behind him so that they can walk back to the picnic table.

"Yesterday, I noticed you were kinda clingy." Renjun mentions.

"I don't know why. I guess I was just tired and needed someone to lean on." She shrugs.

"Well, I'm not really into skin-ship so... "

"Oh, okay, my bad." Choyun remembers to take note of that, even if she was slightly let down since she used to love doing skin-ships with her friends. She questions why Renjun had always held her hand so much, but soon shakes it off.

Choyun reaches for the cooler and sets it up next to Minwon. Right before her and Renjun take their seats again, Renjun crosses paths with Choyun and silently murmurs, "I've never seen you in a dress before, you look good."

She's taken aback by his comment. Why'd he whisper and not just say it aloud? Why'd he even say it in the first place? 'It's just a compliment.' She tells herself. 'I shouldn't overreact.'

As lunch goes on, Choyun constantly glances up at Renjun. She watches as he laughs at her father's jokes and takes small sips every now and then from the lemon water she had made.