Chapter 2

*BEEP BEEP BEEP* My alarm screeches at me, shouting at me, telling me to get up and get ready for the day but I couldn't find the motivation. Arising from my bed, I finally move out of my slumber and get ready for my first class at 10 am. I walk over to my wardrobe and pick out a cute little, white tennis skirt, a navy blue Adidas sweatshirt, white converse and white Nike mid-calf socks. I decided to keep my hair in a messy bun and for accessories, I wore a couple of rings, a cute little necklace made of silver and I wore my glasses. I left my apartment and headed to class, on my travels I saw a lost student – like the kind person I am, I walked over to them and introduced myself, "Hey, I'm Maddy, are you lost?" they looked up at me and started laughing,

"Ahaha, I guess you could say that. I'm Mia. I love your style." She replies as we both shake hands,

"What class are you looking for? Because if it's med class with Professor Gilbert then follow me, if it's English Literature then still... follow me because it's just opposite my class." I questioned and offered help,

"Yeah, it is English Literature... how did you know?" Mia asks,

"You look brainy and laid back, like the sort who'd study Literature."

Mia was tall, like 5'8", she had dark black hair, an American accent, bright blue eyes, like mine, and she had tanned skin from what it looked like she'd developed over summer. She also had well looked-after eyebrows although her right eyebrow had a slit in it. She was wearing black, distressed, cuffed skinny jeans, a white shirt under her light grey sweatshirt with the words 'New York' written across her chest, white ankle socks and some white converse. She was cool, I like her a lot. We walked to our classes together, and as I entered my class there he was... Iago was sitting there, waving his hands at me; he was indicating me to the spare seat next to him, but I declined his offer. He shook his head and laughed at me, I could feel the envy pouring off the girls and gays in the class – it did make me laugh.

Med class was surprisingly easy, I'm not sure whether I'm just really smart or if this work was really easy? When class ended, I waited outside for Mia to finish – her lesson was fifteen minutes longer than mine but I was okay with waiting – she seems really nice, I want to get to know her and her story. Iago noticed I was waiting after class, so he walked over and asked what I was doing. My reply was dry and straight to the point: "I'm waiting for Mia, she's my... friend. I want to grab coffee with her." Iago looked at me and laughed, he walked up to the door and peeped through the window to see Mia. He found her and said, "Who, the girl with dark hair and an eyebrow slit?" I nodded my head and he chuckled to himself then walked off, "Have fun having coffee with your... friend." He says trying to be patronising. Peeking through the window, to have a nose, I saw Mia's little face moving side-to-side trying to look in between the gaps of people's bodies. Pushing past people in the most polite way possible and she pushed them, huge doors open and ran to me. Jumping in my arms she instantly asked how my class was, I said, "Yeah good thank you, hey how about we go and grab some coffee?" Mia looks into my eyes and smiles, she's so sweet! She jumped up and down and nodded yes excitedly.

Arriving at Café Nero, I grabbed our Americano's meanwhile Mia chose our seats. We sat down at the seats, Mia designated us to, and we got to know each other. I asked about her background and she said that she's from Louisville, Kentucky, US, her mum and dad are divorced, and she's lesbian. She then asked about me and my background, I said that I'm from London, England, UK, mum and dad are still together and I'm straight. I heard the bells above the door jingle, I looked, I saw Iago... greatttt, I thought. Iago walked over, head held high, "Oh, hey girls, I didn't know you were here." He said whilst winking at me. I looked at Mia in a way to say, 'why's he here?' we started laughing; I asked Iago, "Are you stalking me, new-kid?" mocking the nickname he gave me at the party last night. Iago looked at me and went bright red, gave a cheeky smirk and went to say something but decided not to, he waved his index finger at me and started walking towards the till to order his coffee and go home.

Before he left, he looked back at us, and said, "Do you lovely ladies want a ride home?"

I grabbed Mia's wrist and said, "I think we'll be okay, but thank you."

Iago nodded his head and said, "Okay, see you in class Friday. Nice to meet you, Mia. Oh and, Maddy, seen as though you're a fan of coffee – they're looking for employees if you need a job." He smiled and left Café Nero.

Mia tilted her head and turned to me, "Who is that??"

"That is Iago Stevens, he's a Calvin Klein model, he's in my med class. He's full of himself and a total snob but he's sweet." I developed a smile as I was speaking about him,

"Ooo look at you, you're blushing over the hot hunk that offered us a ride home, but you declined why?" Mia asked, being well aware that she's stating the obvious,

"Because he's a snob – he genuinely thinks he can get any girl in the blink of an eye," I say trying to maintain my original views on him – I don't need any distractions this year... but then again, I don't want to have any regrets either.

Mia and I leave to go home, and we didn't realise that our apartments are in the same building but on different floors. I walked Mia to her door and hugged her goodnight. I unlocked my door and headed straight for the shower. I needed to wash my hair, take my makeup off and shave because your girl's armpits were getting a little too hairy for my liking. I dried myself off and crawled into bed. As I crawled into bed, I received a message from both Iago and Mia.

Iago said, 'Hey, you looked adorable in your little 'fit today x'

Mia said, 'Hey, I know it's late and you're probably asleep right now but thank you for being my first friend and thank you for the coffee – you're really cute x'

Is Iago flirting with me? I gasped, no, he would never – why would he be interested in someone like me? I asked myself. Mia's endearing; I can't wait to be better friends with her throughout the year. In my message back to Iago I said, 'Are you flirting with me, stud?' and in my message to Mia I said, 'No need to thank me, you're really sweet, thank you for being my first proper friend too x'

I put my phone down and caught forty-winks.