Chapter 36

Catra's POV (Sort of):

She could feel something on the back of her neck, it felt like a stone, no... maybe a chip? She was content, she was happy. The desperate screams of an impure person, begging her to stay, making false promises. She wasn't going to listen. 

Horde Prime had let them have some alone time. When was the last time they had been alone together? Her begging was echoing through the room. 

"You broke my heart," she finally said, she could feel Adora's face drop. The once perfect smiling person, gone, her expression looked almost sad but scared. She was horrified. 

"Catra-" her words split into her, begging her to reconsider until realizing it was pointless.

"Catra, you have to fight it!" she screamed desperately. Something ignited inside of her, recognition, the person she loved standing in front of her, asking her to fight. An aching feeling spread through her body. Fight 

How often had she tried to do that and failed? It never worked. 

"You have to keep fighting!" her voice said, the same desperate tone, almost as if she cared. 

I don't matter.

"Prime has given me peace. Something you could never do. Don't you see? This is for the best. I'm happy here. You could be happy too," she said. Something about that felt wrong, but she was in her place.

Wasn't she?

She felt herself getting pinned against the wall, Adora's tears streaked across her face. 

"I am not giving up on you Catra!" Adora yelled. 

"Then you're a fool, you can not stop Horde Prime-" her entire body trembled. It felt familiar somehow- but worse. 

"Insolent child"

"Don't bring Adora down as well"

"You've never been more than anything but a nuisance to me!" 

Red bolts jolted her memory. 

She snapped back into the present. 

Green sparks overwhelming her body before she fell.

Someone caught her. 

Those arms, they felt warm- like home. 

But it had been a long time since she'd felt the arms of home. 

The arms of that idiot. 

She was such an idiot.

But she had been hers. 

"Adora?" she opened her eyes, she felt tingly. She felt normal. Like, actually normal this time as she gazed into Adora's eyes. Then a wave of realization hit her.

"Adora...you should have stayed away. Why did you come back? We both know I don't matter..."

"You matter to me." 

Catra chocked back a sob, how long had she been waiting to hear those words? She wanted to embrace the moment and dive into Adora's arms but there was just too much pain. 

She had to give in.

She leaned back, trying to fight it at first before letting the purity take over her. 

Is this what it's like to be pure? Is this how I'm supposed to feel? Is this what Shadow Weaver wanted?

Mistakes aren't tolerated.