Ep 3 | Calm Before the Storm

It had been a week since Rain had seen the two children and she nor her brother had found any sign of them. She knew all the kids her age on the Nameless street, it was one of the only things she could take pride in.

She hadn't always been this friendly with the other children on the Street, in fact when she and her family first moved to the Street she'd kept to herself a lot of the time. She now thought back to that time as she decided to take a stroll through the tight alleyways of her home.

A few months after her family had first moved to the Nameless Street her parents were always off helping others, she would continue to ask them why they kept taking care of others when they could barely take care of their own conditions.

One night her mother sat her down and replied "Rain, there will always be people who are less fortunate, this is the last place we all have to go, if we don't help what will become of these people?" Rain looked up and gave her optimistic mother a pout. P, who'd been eavesdropping, came to sit next to them.

Her mother continued, "Rain, I thought you said that you finally felt like we were a real family after moving here? hmm?" She nudged her daughter and smiled down at her, wrapping her arms around the girls tiny shoulders. "We are a family that will always support each other and our community no matter where we live or the hardships that we may face. Just because are lifestyles changed, it doesn't mean we should abandon our morals and others. If it helps, you can think of everyone here as your family too, okay?"

The conversation was one that both Rain and P remembered to this day. Ever since that night they had made an effort to get to know all the other children on the street, sometimes inviting the youngest of them over to share food and warmth during the harsher months.

Now Rain walked along the muddy side streets picking up plastic bags she would later cut into long strips and crochet into recycled handbags. She thought about how her views on this place had changed over the last two years. She had really grown to love this place, despite its appearance and reputation, and she knew her brother felt the same way.

Her thoughts drifted to the two kids they'd seen earlier in the week, who were they? What was their story? Were they ok? and if so where could they have gone? Her thoughts were interrupted by the rush of footsteps slushing in the mud. She turned around to come face to face with Shion, who was very much out of breath.

"Come quick its your father," he managed to get out between heavy breaths, "Where's P?" Bewildered, she just managed to point in the direction she'd seen her brother go earlier.

Shion hurried off and before he could get too far she yelled back, "Wait! What's going on!?" As he continued to run away, Shion didn't even look back at her, "Some guys in white suites came and grabbed your dad out of your place, they say he owes them money and'll beat your mom if doesn't pay up."

He disappeared around the corner his words still hung in the air, playing over in her head as she turned around, dropped the bags she had been collecting and ran as fast as her small legs could carry her home. What was going on?