Ep. 10 | Racing the Rude Boys

The next afternoon all the boys under Smoky, Takeshi and P's charge stood at the makeshift main entrance to their city. The sun was just entering its highest point and although it was autumn the day was hot with a strong cool breeze blowing over the top of the buildings creating wind tunnels as it swept through the tight alleys of the street below.

There wasn't really a starting line per say, it was more like a clump. While this was mainly a race for Rain to prove to herself and the boys her ability, many of the other boys also saw it as an opportunity to boast their own skills and small rivalries soon began to form that morning.

In classic street race style Lala raised her scarf above her head and with one flourish towards the ground the race was on.

Some boys immediately began claiming the nearest structures to take the "high road," a way full of daring leaps from small platforms, unsteady landings and even smaller foot holds. Other boys headed towards the tunnel passages under the streets. It was a route with limited obstacles but it was dark with low hanging pipes and wires.

Even those who knew these routes could get turned around in its maze, it also meant their climb to the highest point would be longer.

 The rest made their way down what was known as Main Street, centered in the large main parking lot of the old factory compound

The rest made their way down what was known as Main Street, centered in the large main parking lot of the old factory compound. While the most direct path to the tower, it was also the most overcrowded and busiest part of the city as far as people and trash were concerned.

Even trying to free run here was almost impossible unless you wanted to anger residence by knocking over their belongings or better yet knocking someone over. Smoky and Takeshi who had been watching from the second story of the building closest to the entrance watched them take off, including P and Shion, and then retreated back into the shadows to find their own fastest route.

Rain knew these streets like the back of her hand, she knew one of the best ways to get to the tower was by taking all three routes. Her path started down in the tunnel passage that ran underneath the most congested parts of Main Street, emerging through an old manhole cover hidden just off to the side near the end of the street and then continued the short run to where the street forked.