Ep. 8 | A Promise and a Goodbye

As time went on their small band grew, most kids moved into the office building, each room providing enough room for three to five kids.

The winter that year was especially harsh and when spring came back around many of the younger children hadn't made it nor many of the elderly whose frail bodies could not keep up with the almost below freezing temperatures.

While their mother had also made it through the winter, she quickly fell ill. The sudden change in weather was thought to be the cause but when she started coughing blood, her eyes began to fog over and her hair started turning white and began falling out, they knew it was something much more serious.

In no condition to be moving around and with no money for a home visit doctor, the only thing Rain and P could do was keep her comfortable as they watch her condition slowly deteriorate.

Even in her last few month she continued to be a guiding figure for everyone on the Nameless Street and did what she could until she was finally bedridden. The only few that would actually come to visit her inside the home were Smoky, Lala, Shion and Takeshi.

While still quiet, Rain was happy for the comfort that Smoky gave her when she was sadden by her mother's condition and thankful for Lala's bubbly personality that could always cheer her up.

Cain was almost non-existent on the Street now and no one had seen him for months. The last time he appeared he and Shion had gotten into a huge argument. Rain was never told what exactly happened but she had heard the indistinct yelling of their confrontation all the way from her home.

The next day Shion moved in with Smoky and Lala. Other than Shion and Cain, Smoky was the only one who knew what really happened and kept his promise to Shion not to say anything until Shion himself was ready to tell the others.

Rain's mother was concerned over Cain's disappearance and in order to not worry her Shion had lied and said he was busy taking care of the elders that made it through the winter. Rain was constantly by her mothers side, trying her best to ease her discomfort all the while slowly breaking down on the inside.

Her father was taken away and she couldn't do anything to stop it, now her mother was dying a slow painful death and she again couldn't do anything to stop it. She could barely sleep for fear that when she'd wake in the morning her mother would not.

The last night everyone was together, they sat around the small brake drum fire contemplating the events that had transpired over the last few months.

Many things had started to cause concern for them. Children had gone missing, more shady characters walked the streets, and the Nameless Street was becoming a popular place for illegal business transactions to be dealt.

"What are we going to do?" Lala questioned as she rested her head on Smoky's shoulder. "This is our home, if the law doesn't care about us then we will take it into our own hands and punish those the law will not," Smoky promised the group with a low monotoned yet determined voice, the others slowly nodding their heads in agreement. They were only between the ages of ten and twelve but the group were some of the oldest kids on the streets still untainted by the horrible ways some of the young adults had to live their life, mainly through illegal gambling, hosting and prostitution and the most popular drugs.

Takeshi, actually answering Lala's question spoke up, "Together, we'll be a force no one dare cross. Drugs have already started effecting people here, I say we start there first. Just like other places outside these Streets, we won't deal in drugs to make our way. Just because we call the Nameless Street our home doesn't mean we should give up on living." There was such conviction in his voice that again the others could only nod in agreement.

"Together we'll get rid of those who would want to do illegal things and take advantages of our street," P jumped off of what Takeshi had said. "And make sure everyone can live a comfortable life," Shion added, his recent confrontation with Cain still fresh in his mind.

From the couch were she lay barely conscious, their mother shifted, tilting her head to look at them with dull white clouded eyes, "You have such passion, but don't forget there may be some things you simply can not change. You must make peace with what you can not change."

She had always encouraged the kids to do what was right and be the change that they wanted to see, but now with her failing health she also wanted to prepare them for the disappointments that reality could also bring as they would grow older.

P reassured her, "Don't worry mother, we'll make this place safe again, a place you can be proud to call home." A large confident smile crossed his face. "Silly child," she reached out her hand to him and he gently held on to it, "anywhere my family is I'm proud to call my home."

Now addressing the rest of group who had made their way over to her, "You can no longer be just be friends, everyone here has no one else so you must be each others family. Those on the Nameless Street are now your family and you must look out for each other now more than ever before. Remember nothing comes for free, there's always a price to pay and it may not always be money."

Memories of her late husband briefly flashed before her. She took another slow labeled breath and continued, "I'm afraid when I'm gone they'll be no one to look after you, but you've always been there for each other, sometimes more than I have. You're all growing up so fast and I wish you could stay children for a little longer like kids your age should."

She paused as she coughed up a small trail of blood that ran down her chin. Rain rushed to her mothers side with a warm face cloth and gently wiped it away.

Their mother continued, "You don't need me as much as I think you do anymore and I'm so proud of you," she leaned over to give a gentle kiss on P's forehead, "and I love you." She gave another soft kiss on Rain's cheek. "We love you too mom," Rain replied as a small tear escaped her eye "and we'll continue to make you proud," P finished for his sister. The others behind them bowed their heads and voiced their respects and agreement to put their mother's mind at ease.

From the back Smoky watched silently, a stoic look on his face and while he appeared to be distant his eyes were sincere. Her words had pierced him leaving a lasting impression more than anyone would ever realize. The next morning the children woke by the dying fire, but their mother did not.