Ep. 25 | Welcome Home

Crystal slowly opened her eyes, taking in everything as her eyes registered what she was staring at. She took in the buildings of various sizes and shapes, a free runners dream. Some looked rather stable, others looked like they were about to collapse at any moment. She noticed the scattered shadows that they cast on the narrow streets, the actual ground barely visible from the litter sitting a top of it.

A gentle breeze blew through the streets, the buildings acting as a kind of wind tunnel boosting its power so by the time it got to her bits and pieces of loose cloth and plastic were flying through the air at varying heights. The distinct smell of sewage reached her nose, but oddly it didn't bother her as much as she thought it should have.

Another deep breath and she stepped under the thin square metal framed archway and on to the street. You know that feeling you get from being at work all day long and all you want to do is get back to your comfy bed at home and then when you finally get there you feel at peace and just flop down on the mattress in total relaxation? That was exactly how Crystal felt, except her heart was telling her one thing while her head was contradicting everything that it felt familiar with.

She slowly meandered down the long street toward the water tower she could see at the far end. It seemed like a main street but there were barely any signs of life. An older women was stirring a pot of some type of soup like substances near the entrance of one of the buildings that was missing about fifty percent of its structure.

Continuing on, she past by two more buildings before she was knocked slightly off balance by a small group of young children running across her path at a crossroad.

Three of the children continued running while one boy stopped just after passing her, pausing to turn and take a closer look at her. She noticed his scrappy and scrawny appearance as well as his enthusiasm. His hair hung in his face but she could still see the curiosity in his eyes.

The boys shaggy appearance brought a hint of recognition of another young boy. She could picture this boys face but no name. She smiled at the boy, who once figured she wasn't a threat gave her a smile back before a girl half his height grabbed him by the arm and they two took off.

Watching their small disappearing figures, she could see herself as a young child trailing two boys as they ran through these very streets. More evidence that the Nameless Street held an important part of her missing memories.

She didn't get much farther before a man, probably around her age, jumped down from somewhere above to land in front of her. His long, slightly wavy hair hung in front of half his face, so only one eye was showing.

He wore a red thin shirt covered by a baggy hunter green jacket, as equally thin, but much larger that it hung off his shoulder. Unlike the boy from earlier she could tell this man held much more hostility towards her. Her immediate reaction was to get herself in a defensive stance.