28 | beaten a man

Jungkook's attention shifted to Jimin, who sat beside him, savoring the pasta on the artfully decorated plate. "Geez, Park! How much do you plan to eat? Aren't you full yet?" Jungkook teased, earning a playful eye roll from Jimin.

"Keep your eyes off my food. I'm full, but my baby isn't," Jimin replied, scooping another mouthful of the delectable cheesy pasta. Jungkook chuckled, shaking his head at Jimin's antics.

"Jungkook!"

A voice called out, prompting Jungkook to turn toward the source. His father waved through the crowd, signaling him to join. Nodding, Jungkook rose from his chair, stealing a glance at Jimin still engrossed in his meal. As he approached his father:

"Yes, Dad?"

"Jungkook," Junghyun spoke. "Look who came to meet you."

Jungkook furrowed his brows, focusing on the man his father indicated. His fist clenched involuntarily at the sight of Hyunjin standing before him. Jungkook shot him a disinterested look, reluctant to engage.

"Oh hey, little brother," Hyunjin teased, a sly smirk playing on his lips. "How have you been? It's been ages. And you've certainly built up, huh? Look at those muscles." Hyunjin chuckled.

Jungkook managed a strained smile, concealing his true feelings. "I'm good, hyung. Didn't install a gym in my mansion for nothing, right?"

"Absolutely!"

"You guys talk. I'll go greet the guests," Junghyun said, leaving the two to catch up.

"Hey, let's continue this conversation outside," Hyunjin suggested cheerfully, draping his arm around Jungkook's shoulder. Jungkook rolled his eyes but obliged, leading them through the glass door into the serene garden.

"We've got a lot of catching up to do – four years, bro!" Hyunjin exclaimed with enthusiasm, guiding Jungkook towards a round table and settling him into a chair opposite. "Indeed," Jungkook muttered, offering a smile that concealed the tension beneath.

"Congratulations on finally becoming the CEO. I'm genuinely happy for you; you deserve it. It's your hard work after all," Hyunjin declared, signaling the waiter for drinks. Jungkook found himself taken aback by Hyunjin's unexpected warmth. Despite Hyunjin gesturing for drinks, Jungkook declined with a subtle shake of his head.

"Oh, come on! It's a celebration time." Hyunjin raised a glass towards Jungkook, encouraging him to partake. Nervously, Jungkook smiled and accepted the glass. Hyunjin mirrored the action, and the waiter promptly retreated.

While Hyunjin savored his drink, Jungkook held his glass. Hyunjin gestured at the untouched beverage, prompting Jungkook to take a sip. Obediently, Jungkook nodded and complied.

Hyunjin placed his glass on the table, downing the liquor with a swift gulp. "I heard you've got a boyfriend. When are you introducing him to me?"

"Soon," Jungkook replied, clenching his fist against the table's surface.

Hyunjin nodded, taking another sip. "Cool. How's Namjoon and Seokjin hyung?"

"They're doing well." Jungkook felt a sense of bewilderment. Hyunjin's behavior contradicted the disdain Jungkook was accustomed to. Was Hyunjin plotting something anew? Jungkook had no inkling. Regardless, he chose to follow his boyfriend's counsel: ignore.

Yet, Jungkook's inquisitiveness persisted. "Why are you acting like this?" he inquired, raising a skeptical brow as Hyunjin sipped from his wine-filled glass.

"Acting like what?" Hyunjin murmured, nonchalantly shrugging.

"Like you're the 'ideal brother' when you're absolutely not," Jungkook retorted.