33 | mistake

"I challenge you to kiss me," Hyunjin's words echoed through the room, shrouded in a pregnant silence.

Jimin sat frozen, his hands becoming clammy, heart pounding like a drum. The audacity of the dare left him wide-eyed, not anticipating such a public challenge from Hyunjin.

Jungkook grappled with a surge of emotions, his jaw clenched and teeth gritted in a cocktail of anger and an unfamiliar twinge-perhaps jealousy? But anger dominated, fueled by a deep-seated dislike for Hyunjin. His fists tightened, veins pulsating as he fixated on Hyunjin, eyes ablaze with a storm of rage and jealousy.

Taehyung's response mirrored Jungkook's, intensified by the blur of alcohol. He recognized Jimin's unease, nursing a profound hatred for Hyunjin. Amidst the alcohol-induced haze, a streak of jealousy coursed through Taehyung, his intoxicated self discarding inhibitions.

Jimin stood in disbelief. A mere game, a simple kiss-no strings attached. Yet, an unexplained turmoil lingered. No infidelity, no fear of someone's wrath; just a kiss.

"I'll make it effortless for you. I'll come over and let you kiss me," Hyunjin's smirk widened as he rose, casting a hush over the onlookers. Yoongi and Hoseok exchanged uncertain glances, navigating the unfolding drama with unease.

He couldn't even take a shot of beer; after all, he was pregnant, for god's sake.

Jimin's heart thumped in his chest as he watched Hyunjin stand and approach him. Before Hyunjin could reach him, a figure blocked his path, positioning itself between Jimin, still on the floor, and the advancing Hyunjin. When Hyunjin glanced up to identify the barrier, he found Taehyung standing resolutely in front of Jimin. Jimin's eyes widened, alternating between the vacant seat Taehyung had vacated and Taehyung, now the unexpected protector.

Jungkook, too, was taken aback witnessing Taehyung's intervention.

"What are you doing, Taehyung? Step aside. Jimin has to complete his dare," Hyunjin shamelessly declared, attempting to maneuver around Taehyung. However, Taehyung persistently obstructed his path.

"Don't you dare touch him, or I won't hesitate to beat the living daylights out of you," Taehyung warned in a deep, husky voice, sending shivers down Jimin's spine. Taehyung's eyes were dark and intimidating, fixed on Hyunjin.

"It's just a dare, Taehyung. Why make it a big deal? Why are you so offended?" Hyunjin calmly questioned, but Taehyung's fists clenched, teeth gritted in anger. Jungkook, confused, grappled with understanding Taehyung's actions, torn between his emotions and the unfolding scene.

Perhaps the alcohol was speaking.

Hyunjin made another attempt to walk past Taehyung, but the beta's anger got the best of him. He forcefully pushed Hyunjin on the chest, causing him to stumble back and emit a surprised gasp. Gasps echoed from the onlookers, their eyes widening at the unfolding scene. Jimin was not just shocked; he was utterly bewildered, unable to decipher what turmoil was brewing in Taehyung's mind. Why was Taehyung so aggressively irate about the situation? The answer eluded him.

Hyunjin's jaw clenched, and he let out a loud groan before regaining his composure. He glared at Taehyung, anger coursing through his veins, reciprocating the same intensity.

Gritting his teeth in frustration, Hyunjin marched up to Taehyung, both locking eyes at the same level. Jungkook's eyes widened as he witnessed the escalating tension. Realizing Taehyung was inebriated and unpredictable, Jungkook intervened, seizing Taehyung's arm and attempting to pull him away.

"Taehyung, stop!" Jungkook whispered urgently as Taehyung maintained his hostile glare at Hyunjin. Seokjin and Namjoon, returning from their 'dare,' observed the unfolding drama with wide eyes and shocked expressions. Jimin, though paralyzed with shock, couldn't move; his feet remained glued to the spot, and his mind went blank.