Derek Venturi x Casey McDonald [5]

I watched him from my perch on the stairs. My head was stuck through the railing, looking down at him. He was sitting on his recliner in the living room like usual, head tilted back. He had just come back from a hockey game a few hours ago. Of course, I had heard him come in but I didn't come down to see.

He wouldn't want to see me, I thought to myself as I continued watching him. I was too far up, too far way for him to notice me. He'd never know I was here. And why would he? Derek didn't know of my feelings for him.

No one did. And if ever told him, I highly doubt he'd feel the same. Besides, what would George think? What would mom think? Or Lizzie? Or Edwin?

Not even Marti could be able to understand something like this. Gosh, even I couldn't understand something like this. Derek ran a hand through his red hair as he changed the channel on the TV with the remote. My stomach did a flip-flop at the sight of him.

I put my head in my hands in despair. But I couldn't continue living like this. It was eating me alive, tearing me up from the inside.

Maybe I should just tell him? No, I thought, shaking my head, Bad idea, Casey.

No, I couldn't do that. I just had to live with it. Live with my feelings and bury them deep inside myself. Suddenly, the doorbell rang and Derek got up to get it. I hurriedly (and quietly) ran up the stairs until I was out of view.

"Hey, Kendra!" Derek said excitedly once he opened the door.

I frowned. Kendra. I thought she was nice at first. Gosh, I'd even set them up. But that was before I knew how I felt about Derek. Before I realized that all of the fights I'd pick with him were actually me just...trying to get close to him. It was stupid and petty, I know.

Now I just wish we could go back to that. Back to just the fighting. But we were far past that now...well, at least I was. As he wrapped his arms around her and placed his lips on hers, I briefly closed my eyes. Oh, how I wish that was me! I wondered what it felt like to be that close to him, to touch him, hold him, taste his kiss...

I put my fingers to my lips at the thought. Guess I'll never know, I thought to myself glumly as tears began to form.

"Hold on, I gotta go get my jacket." he grinned at her before racing up the stairs.

When he reached the top, his eyes found me and he stopped.

"Case? Are you alright?" he asked gently.

His voice didn't hold that usual teasing tone. I looked up at him and faked a smile.

"Of course. I'm fine." I said, tears beginning to roll down my cheeks.

"Case-" he started, reaching for me.

"I said, I'm fine!" I sobbed, running to my room.

I slammed the door behind me and let it out: the anguish, the heartache, the confusion, the pain... My back slid down the door until I was in a sitting position. I pulled my knees up to my chest and rested my head on them. I sobbed quietly as I heard the front door close downstairs. The silence enclosed my space now.

No one else was here. I was home alone. Knowing what I had to do, I wiped the tears off my face with the back of my sleeve. I grabbed the suitcase from my closet and began filling it up with my belongings - clothes, music, and everything else I would need. Once it was full, I walked down the stairs to the front door, my suitcase in hand.

I looked around the room once more before stepping out onto the porch. I had to do this.

1 Week Later...