Paul Atreides x reader [Pt. 2]

It felt as if my heart would beat out of my chest, like someone had just electrocuted me - but in a good way. How could this be? Paul...loved me? All this time? I could barely make sense of Lady Jessica's words as they kept spewing forth like a fountain, unbidden.

"It was not hard to guess his affections when he showed them so blatantly: a tiny smile on his face when you'd brush by, his eyes lighting up when your name was mentioned, a blush tinting his cheeks when choosing a partner happened to be mentioned,"

"A pa-partner? What are you saying?" I asked, my mouth forming an 'O' at this newfound information.

"You may not have been my first choice as a mate for my son. My standards are very high for who he chooses to marry," she admitted, leaning closer conspiratorially, "But nevertheless, if you are the one he has chosen - and I know you are - then whose to say you cannot be like myself?"

Her words hung in the air between us like a swirl of smoke, filling my lungs with its insatiable implications.

"You want me to be his concubine."

It was a statement, not a question as I sat back in pure shock. How could she ask this of me?! Lady Jessica nodded serenely at my words, clearly understanding the confusion and indignation warring within me.

"It was not the life I had wanted either, not what I would have chosen for myself willingly at first but being Paul's father's concubine..." she spread her hands wide then, indicating her expensive clothing and jewelry, "...it was rewarding. Not only did I get to spend a lifetime loving an extraordinary man, I gave birth to a beautiful, well-educated son and lived safe and protected. None of that could have been achieved in the life I was leading before,"

My head spun so fast, strands of dark hair whipped free of my scarf as I bit out in anger, "But you weren't his wife! You were lesser, you were-"

"-happy, taken care of, and despite what you may think - loved. So, tell me, in the choices set before you - living the rest of your life in servitude, poor and barely scraping by or being Paul's concubine, a lesser mate with lesser privileges but able to love him, give him children, and be protected from the vileness our world has inflicted upon women - which would you choose?"

I almost said 'no'. Perhaps, others would say I should have - just thrown it all back in her face. But then I glanced over, I saw her sympathetic gaze and I realized just how hard it had been for her to make the same choice I was about to make. She was right - this world wasn't easy, so much was inflicted upon us. But despite being a concubine herself, she was respected, loved, and treasured not only by the Duke himself but by the people as well. She had made a name for herself...and maybe so could I.

My gaze flitted back to Paul's then and instead of answering Lady Jessica, I stood up before making my way over to him. I could practically feel the smile that was forming on his mother's face as I stopped just in front of Paul and Chani.

"Paul...can I talk to you for a minute?" I asked quietly as soon as a lull in conversation presented itself.

He nodded with a smile, excusing himself from Chani as I led him over to a smaller outcropping of rock which was shaded and farther away from the rest. Leaning my back against the cool stone, I let out a breath I wasn't aware I had been holding. His eyes instantly locked on my own, sensing my disquiet.

"What's wrong? You're not hurt-" he began but I waved his question away.

"I'm fine. I just...I just needed to talk to you about something," I confessed, looking up into his concerned gaze.

He waited patiently for me to go on but as I looked into those pure emerald eyes, all speech left me, leaving only a burning desire to be Paul Atreides'. I chose to heed the bolder side of my nature in that very moment, to not think but only feel. Wordlessly, I closed the gap between us and pressed my lips to his much softer ones.

I could feel shock radiate off of Paul in waves but it took mere seconds for him to return the kiss hungrily, pressing his mouth harder to my own. My tongue swiped his bottom lip, demanding entry and he caved immediately. As our tongues fought for dominance, his hands which had moved to circle my waist, gripped me even tighter. My own hands reached up, twining my fingers through the dark chocolate curls at the nape of his neck, feeling my heartbeat pounding fast in my chest.

Because no matter the consequences of the actions I took today, I was in love with Paul. And nothing could tear us apart.