Cesare Borgia x reader [Pt. 1]

Author's Note: I was so excited to write this since I got obsessed with The Borgias over the summer (welcome to my "Italian Renaissance phase" XD) so I did take the liberty of adding a Cesare/Lucrezia vid as the header just because I love their relationship so much. He's so endearing, attentive, and protective of Lucrezia and she, in turn, loves him passionately and intensely with abandon. They're always drawn to each other and I find that inexplicably beautiful <3 There also could be hints of that in this one shot. Okay...I gushed too much, don't mind me - hope you enjoy part one (because let's face it, the world of the Borgias sucked me in and I couldn't stop at just one part LOL) <3

Worry clouded my every waking thought as I paced around the room, fully aware that I was slowly losing my mind over these disturbances.

Perhaps it was only what my maidservants lovingly called "baby brain" that was causing me such heartache or just the swelling of my belly beneath the many folds of my crimson silk gown. It was easy to lapse into agitation as rumors circled Rome day and night that my husband had taken a lover outside of these castle walls.

Lucrezia, my dearest sister-in-law, had insisted I rest, that my constant worrying wasn't good for my health or my unborn babe's. But still...the thoughts persisted. What if Cesare no longer loved me? We had been married for the past two years now and not once had he given me reason to doubt his affections. Yet here I was, worrying over idle gossip. You'd think I was some dumb peasant girl, the way I was acting.

The blonde sitting beside me arched one perfectly sculpted eyebrow, a knowing smirk playing at the corner of her lips as I paced around the room.

"He'll be back soon...alone, I might add," my sister-in-law reassured me, a teasing tone coating her words as she watched me continue to pace, "Never fear, dear sister, Cesare knows where his loyalties lie. That is one thing that can never be doubted of my brother,"

I rolled my eyes, knowing that there were truth to her words...and yet, my worries still tormented me.

"And what if he doesn't?" I asked, walking out onto the open balcony that looked out over the vast reaches of wickedness and depravity which was called Rome, "What if he's finally realized that he deserves better than the illegitimate daughter of a king? He could have better - he knows that, I'm sure,"

Silence stretched between us like an ocean until I heard the soft wisps of slippered feet on the tile behind me and Lucrezia glided over to the balcony railing on my other side.

"You just said the one word that ensures it is better: king. None of us are legitimate so what is that to my brother?"

"It meant a great deal to Juan, so I've heard tell,"

My sister-in-law's tone was poisonous as she said in a low voice, "Nothing that mattered to Juan matters now that he is gone,"

Glancing to gaze at her in slight surprise, I noticed her lips were pursed and the warmth had all but left her haunted powder-blue eyes. Oh, I'd heard the rumors alright - that many a year ago, my own husband had been the one to end his life, that Juan's body had been found with multiple stab wounds and floating in the Tiber two days after his disappearance.

But somehow...somehow I couldn't quite make myself believe Cesare would do something so horrid, so vile. He was always gentle and tender when he was with me. Cesare wasn't capable of such actions.

However, the emotions swimming in Lucrezia's eyes seemed to tell a very different story. I brushed my concerns aside though in that moment, determined not to worry myself more than need be. Rumors were rumors - Rome swirled with them constantly. It didn't make them true.

Lucrezia gave me a warm smile then as she squeezed my hand gently in reassurance, "Let these matters lie, sister. Cesare loves you, never would he cause you harm purposefully - you know that. His heart is yours,"

"And mine alone?" I asked, arching an eyebrow at her.

The words hung in the balance, my sister-in-law grasping the veiled meaning fully as she glanced back at me, an expression of serenity unchanging on her countenance.

"Yours alone." she echoed back, her gaze level with mine as if daring me to refute it.

I let the subject drop then as my mother-in-law, Vanozza, came sweeping into the room. I beamed over at her as she gathered me in a gentle hug before pressing her hands to my growing stomach in a loving manner.

"And how is my daughter-in-law and future grandchild?" she greeted me with a smile.

I laughed, shaking my head as I shot her a teasing smile, "The same as yesterday and the day before that and the day before that! Vanozza, you come so often, it's a wonder you don't just move in already,"

My sister-in-law grinned as Vanozza just shook her head, letting Lucrezia lead her into the foyer and I lapsed into my thoughts once again. Every day it seems, she had been checking up on me and the health of my unborn child. Usually, I would attach that sentiment to Cesare being protective of me but Micheletto seemed to be doing the job of bodyguard fairly well in that regard. No, Vanozza came of her own accord, her own maternal nature. She genuinely cared about me - as all the Borgia family seemed to. I'd heard tales of Lucrezia's prior husbands and the animosity the whole of the Borgias felt for them. But as for me? I was truly apart of this family.

As I walked back to the balcony overlooking the beauty that was Rome, the clear waters of the Tiber, the grand architecture of the arches and cathedrals - I knew there was no other place I would rather be. Well...other than safe encircled in my husband's arms.

Speaking of - where was that man?