Nick Clark x reader [Pt. 1]

I never imagined I would get to see him again.

When I escaped with Alicia, Madison, and Travis, it tore me apart. It tore me apart to imagine a world without Nick Clark in it. We'd known each other since diapers and I'd been madly in love with him since the early days of Paul R. Williams High School where his mother worked as a guidance counselor. We'd been a grade apart yet magnetically drawn to each other.

I knew the trouble Nick always seemed to be in and how his mother and sister worried about him. So many things should have been red flags but my attraction to Nick overrode my sense of self, logic, and security. I found myself in strange places, strange times - back alleys, obscure diners, and his own personal favorite drug den.

Somehow, I'd felt responsible for him - like I could look out for him, watch over him and keep him relatively safe from his own self-destruction. I was wrong.

Because I couldn't shelter him from the storm of the apocalypse brewing. I couldn't shelter him from the masses of rotting corpses taking over L.A. or the virus they inflicted when you were bitten. I couldn't shelter him from having to be uprooted from all we'd ever known.

I couldn't protect Nick Clark from any of those things. There are times, I still wish I could have. But instead of destroying himself as he'd been doing his entire life, in this strange new world Nick was thriving. He'd always been an electric force to be reckoned with but now he was finally beginning to realize it. Everyone around him was terrified, just trying to survive. But Nick? The apocalypse was his oyster - so to speak.

Even so, I still found myself panicking when the image of a blood-drenched Nick stumbling through a horde of walkers resurfaced in my mind in the late night hours between sleeping and waking. I would bolt upright in my bed in a cold sweat, gripping pristine white sheets in my fists. But no matter where my eyes landed, Nick was never anywhere to be found.

Yet, we still moved forward - as a team, as a family. I'd almost broken away once or twice but Madison insisted I was as much a part of this family as anyone and that I stay. So I did. I can't tell you how long it was or just how many months had passed before we eventually got word that Nick was alive. It was a boon in my life at that point, simply knowing the man I loved was still here on this earth.

That's what we were doing when got taken. A group of soldiers captured us, took us to a foreign military compound, and separated myself and Travis from Madison and Alicia before shoving us into a dark holding cell of sorts. The floor along the walls and around the shelves were littered with people sitting, awaiting their fate. I looked down at my hands, noticing the dirt caked under my nails. My thoughts began to spiral into something much more sinister and depressive when my shoulder was bumped from the left and I glanced up to meet Travis' eyes. Nodding slightly as to not call attention to himself, he gestured to the other side of the room directly across from us.

Sitting opposite us were two people - one, a female, seeming very ill and worse for wear. And beside her... I had to stop myself from the gasp that threatened to climb out unbidden from my throat. It felt like my world was spinning on its axis. It wasn't...wasn't possible...or was it? Then, almost as suddenly as these thoughts raced through my mind, a pair of achingly familiar chocolate-brown eyes locked on mine.

It took him all of three seconds for his eyes to widen in shock before an expression of confusion etched itself onto his handsome features. He was obviously wondering how in the world Travis and I had ended up here. The girl beside him, whom I now noticed was a dark-haired beauty with mocha skin, moaned in her sleep and snuggled deeper into his shoulder. My mouth morphed into a hard line, shock and jealousy erupting inside of me suddenly. Who was this girl? And why was she so familiar and loved-up to Nick?