Nick Clark x reader [Pt.2]

We walked for what felt like hours, just going in circles, before stumbling across what we thought was an exit but turned out to be overrun with walkers. But finally, somehow, we had managed to escape unscathed and Nick was reunited with his mother and sister.

I stood by on the sidelines, my eyes glued to their little reunion as warmth bubbled up inside of me. A smile tugged at the corners of my lips just as Nick's chocolate-brown gaze connected to mine over the heads of Madison and Alicia. My expression faltered slightly and I glanced away hurriedly, hoping beyond all hope that he hadn't noticed. But, of course, he noticed everything I did.

I got lost in the shuffle then as various people - Luciana included - were herded off to their makeshift medical center, although it wasn't exactly accidental - more purposeful than anything. I wasn't really in the mood to have the confrontation with Nick which I knew was surely inevitable. He was going to ask why I'd been acting strangely, why I was avoiding him, and most importantly, why I was so hostile to Luciana. She seemed like a nice girl, I really had no qualms with her. But...there was a part of my heart, perhaps all of it, which would always belong to Nick Clark. No matter who he was with.

I was standing beside one of the trucks, talking with one of the soldiers when it happened: shots rang out, piercing the air with the noise. My eyes locked on the walkers spilling out of the compound and my heart began to race in my chest. Where was Nick?

It was chaos - walkers everywhere, soldiers shooting down what they could, and others being ripped to bloody shreds limb from limb. Making it to the medical area in record time, I managed to help Alicia and Travis move Luciana in direction of a helicopter waiting nearby.

Nick should have been right behind me, waiting in the wings for his precious girlfriend. But instead, I heard Madison's name being called out into the fray and Nick was racing across the concrete to where she stood, battling the dead. Alicia called Travis back to us as he had been trying to reach the pair and without thinking, I snagged a screwdriver off one of the crates beside me and jumped into the thick of it.

Blood splattered across my neck and the back of my knuckles as I jammed it the screwdriver into the brain of a passing walker. A putrid smell burst free of its cranium and I wrinkled my nose in disgust as I kept going, slashing and grabbing as I did. My only priority was to get to Nick.

Madison cried out, pointing behind me then and I barely had time to spin around as the walker behind me went down with a squelching noise and a heavy thud. Nick's dark eyes locked on mine and I nodded my thanks to him as we kept going. Alicia, Travis, and Luciana had escaped to the helicopter now and the man we had previously met, Troy, was beckoning to us from an army truck just up ahead.

I shared a glance with Nick and Madison, knowing the decision had already been made for us as the dead closed in on all sides. The three of us leaped for the sides of the truck and was dumped in unceremoniously as Troy rapped the side of the truck and we started moving in the opposite direction of the horde.

We sat huddled together, Nick and I, on the opposite side of the truck-bed from Madison and Troy as the vehicle spun out onto the dirt road. Her eyes followed the helicopter as it flew on ahead of us, concern etched into the fiber of her very being. I knew that look well - it was in my own eyes every time Nick was in danger. That danger now being 100x more dangerous than it was pre-outbreak.

"We'll meet them there!" Troy shouted over the sound of the truck engine and the helicopter above, "We're all going to the same place now!"

As the vehicle hit a pothole in the road, my shoulder brushed Nick's and I fought back the shiver that raced up my spine at the simple touch. I was about to pull away, to give myself some distance from him when his arm wrapped around my shoulders and brought me flush against him. His body was warm on mine, making me lose my sense of focus when my gaze snapped to his in the fading sunlight. Madison and Troy were lost in conversation, her asking him more details about where they were taking us now.