Shane Walsh x reader

Author's Note: Had the idea for this years ago when I first watched the show but lost myself in writing other TWD projects. Also, in this one shot, Shane will be a bit OOC since I tried to make him a better man LOL And I included two references to other fandoms. Can anyone guess what those were? Hope y'all enjoy <3

I glanced up beneath my dark lashes only to find Shane yet again eyeing Lori. A scoff built up in my throat but I swallowed it down, leaning back inside the abandoned car to rummage through it. There were candy wrappers littering the floor board, an empty tuna can in the corner and the all-encompassing stench of decay that emanated from the dead walker in the back seat but otherwise, nothing to be found.

A sigh escaped my mouth and I shook my head as I sat down in the driver's seat. This was the fifth car I'd tried already. However, at least it was taking my mind off of the problem at hand. Don't get me wrong - I'd always known Shane had a wandering eye. All of that started way before this outbreak began. I knew what a womanizer he'd always been. And yet...I still loved him. Don't ask me why - it didn't remotely make sense. Somehow, I'd always been convinced there was a better side of him, that he wasn't the player everyone made him out to be. Not always, anyway.

But lately? Lately things had changed. This was taking it a lot farther than just gawking at half-dressed women online or at the grocery store. And not just because none of that existed any longer but because his roving eye had, I suspected, transitioned into something much worse - all-out cheating. I'd been afraid of that the entire time - what woman wouldn't be? But I always trusted Shane implicitly, trusting that no matter what he may say or do - it would never go beyond that. I was wrong.

I'd met Lori not long after Shane and I began dating what felt like a million years ago now. He'd insisted I meet his best friend and co-worker, Rick and his wife, Lori. To say the two of us didn't hit it off would be an understatement. Yet, I felt we had an understanding that we must be cordial to each other because of our husbands. They were friends yet it didn't mean we had to be enemies. Right? No, apparently wrong.

Ever since Rick had been "pronounced" dead via Shane, my husband had been taking up a lot of time with Carl and by association, Lori, too. Carl needed a father figure in his life at the time and to be honest, it was heartwarming to see Shane take on the role of dad to him. Deep down, it made me yearn for a child of our own - just watching him laughing and spending time with the boy.

But all of that changed when I began to notice just how much time Shane was spending with not only Carl but his mother as well. Now I know what you're thinking - she's overthinking this, over-analyzing the situation. A guy can look if he wants, right? Sure, of course, no problem. If that man was indeed single (and had no intention of being otherwise).

But therein lied the problem - Shane was very much not single. We had been married for two years prior to this apocalypse, now three. And before that, we had dated for another two. I'd spent at least five years of my life in love with Shane Walsh and there was no way I was about to lose him to Lori Grimes of all people. The woman couldn't half drive, for crying out loud!

A smirk split my face at the thought of Lori's many botched driver's ed tests, that bit of knowledge thanks to a hilarious drunken blurt from Rick. But that burst of happiness faded out quickly as a shadow passed over me. Glancing up into a deep chocolate-brown gaze filled with concern, I rolled my own eyes. This was exactly why I had rode with Daryl on his motorcycle instead of riding in the RV - Shane was not exactly the person I wanted to talk to at the moment.

"Babe, you can't keep on avoiding me like this," Shane said pointedly as I got out of the car, side-stepping him as I did.

"How far are we now to Fort Bennett?" I asked, deflecting his question with one of my own.