Paul Atreides x reader [Pt. 1]

Author's Note: I've never written a Dune one shot before nor have I read the books yet (only seen the movie) so my apologies if I've gotten the finer points not quite accurate. Either way, I hope you enjoy <3

How come butterflies took up so much space in one's stomach? It's quite rude when you think about it.

Not that I intentionally thought about the butterflies brought on by simply being around Paul Atreides. At least...I tried not to. After all, we'd known each other our entire lives - how could this have happened?! I asked myself this same question over and over as if somehow, it could answer itself for me. But no matter the cause and effect, it had happened.

Which was why I was now avoiding Paul like the plague. I knew my place at court - I always had. I was a servant's daughter and he was the son of a Duke, an aristocrat. Somehow, I'd always been happy in my world. I never reached above my station. In retrospect, though, I had indulged too many daydreams, too many fantasies...that Paul became the star of all too quickly.

He never knew - at least, I hoped and prayed that he did not. But living in the same house? The servants' quarters only two hallways down from his own bedroom? Paul would come seek me out sooner or later, demanding an answer, I was certain. There was nothing I could say to make this better, though - and nothing he would want to hear. I never deluded myself into thinking Paul felt as I did.

Sure, there were a few lingering looks, spine-tingling touches, the time we jokingly danced around the empty ballroom one evening after everyone else had long since departed for bed. But not in all that time did I dare believe it was anything more than idle flirtation on his part - a game, if you will. And beyond any reasoning or self-control on my own part did I put a stop to it.

Instead, I fell for him. And I regretted it ever since.

But it all fell to pieces before we ever got the chance to discuss these events. In fact, Paul's entire world had crumbled down around him. The planet was invaded, his father tortured and killed and now my childhood friend was Duke Paul Atreides, on the run from his father's murderers and the very people sworn to protect him since birth. Paul, ever resilient as always, internalized everything and put the safety of his mother above all else, determined to protect the three of us who had escaped the cataclysm.

I glanced up then, making sure to keep most of my face covered by my scarf as I observed Paul talking to Chani. Feeling my blood boil at her soft glance aimed at him and his own need to discover more about this newcomer, I turned my head only to find Paul's mother, the Lady Jessica, gazing over at me intently. Startled, I pretended not to notice as she got up and made her way over to me. Lady Jessica sat down next to me gingerly atop the burnt orange rock I was set upon, shaded by the towering cliff to our right.

Silence reigned supreme between the two of us for a split second in time, with myself awaiting her to speak first. We may no longer be at the palace but I had not forgotten my place.

"What's going on between you and my son?" she asked calmly, strands of blonde hair escaping her elaborately wrapped scarf.

I almost snorted. All of them were exactly the same, aristocrat and commoner alike - leave it to a mother to get straight to the point.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I dodged the question, scanning the horizon as I expertly avoided her penetrating gaze.

But evidently, I wasn't getting off that easy.

She nodded now towards her son who remained in animated conversation with Chani, "I see the way your eyes linger on him when you think that no one is watching, like a lovestruck schoolgirl,"

I ignored that jab as she continued on, her gaze roving over me as if analyzing my very soul.

"You do realize you are not in his aristocratic circle, do you not? You're not of his cut, of his social standing. Why would he give you the time of day? Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of your friendship - I always have been," her voice was calm but there was a determined edge to her tone, "And I allowed it because I thought it would be good for him - to get to know his people on a personal level. It would prepare him to take over as Duke after his father-"

She stopped abruptly then, cutting the words off at the root as emotion closed up her throat. Her gaze flitted away from mine for a moment as she regained her composure. I could feel my own throat closing up with a very different kind of emotion - anger, bitterness, and yes, a mounting wave of guilt tinged with sadness. Because I knew she was right. I wasn't apart of his world - I only wanted to be. And not for the sake of royalty or riches - I just wanted Paul. My gaze, despite myself, wandered back to his figure then.

He was laughing now at something she had said, his hair falling in silky brown waves across his forehead, his bright green eyes flashing in the noon-day sun like shining emeralds. There was a sharp tug at my heart, a brief twinge of pain as a wide smile split his face. Oh, how I loved him...

"It never crossed my mind that you would fall in love with my son," Lady Jessica's voice was soft now, almost sympathetic in the fading daylight, "I admit, in the beginning I was oblivious to his feelings for you. Upon much reflection, I should have seen-"

I cut her off abruptly then as her words crashed into me like a meteor, "I'm sorry, what did you just say?"

She was silent for just a brief moment in time before a slight smirk split her features.

"You weren't aware then? I would have thought you of all people, so attentive to his moods, would have noticed by now - he's in love with you as well."