Edward Cullen x Bella Swan

Edward's porcelain brow was furrowed, his honey-gold eyes smoldering with muted anger as he slammed the door of his sleek, dark Volvo shut. Trudging up the path to Bella's house, he didn't bother to knock before barging right in.

Bella arched an eyebrow with a tiny smile gracing her face, "Well, hello to you, too,"

Edward hummed in response before taking a seat at the dining table as she busied herself with making a cup of tea. A cough escaped her mouth and she covered it briefly with her hand before joining Edward at the table, cup in hand.

"So, what happened? You were pretty vague on the phone," she commented.

It was clear Bella was feeling a bit under the weather but still wanted to be supportive of her boyfriend.

Rolling his eyes slightly, he divulged, "Emmett and Jasper got into a fight with Jacob and Paul,"

Bella's brown eyes widened in surprise, "They did what?! Did they break the treaty?! Edward-"

Edward waved her comment off, "Nothing that serious. Just a bit of roughhousing. But still...it didn't exactly set well with the tribe,"

"Then what exactly happened?"

Edward was contemplative a moment before continuing his story.

"Apparently, they crossed paths on the outskirts of town and Emmett, being his usual self, made a joke at Paul's expense. Well, one thing led to another and somehow, Jacob had him pinned to the ground,"

He made a face then as today's earlier conversation came back to him.

"I didn't do anything wrong! It was the mutt's fault!" Emmett scowled in his seat across from Edward.

Jasper, who sat beside him, shrugged casually, "I can't entirely agree...you did cheer when Paul finally hit the ground,"

"The best way to deal with them at that point was the optional embarrassment or the very obvious torture. Besides, what are you complaining about? You enjoyed the smackdown as much as I did,"

His brother let out a humorless laugh.

"Well, if I'd just listened to Alice, I would've stayed home and left you there. Would it have been as enjoyable then?,"

"You know, you have a very passive aggressive disposition for a vampire!"

"Is that so? Then perhaps this passive aggressive vampire should show you how assertively aggressive he can be!"

"GUYS! ENOUGH!" Edward roared, using all his strength to shove his two snarling brothers apart.

Just thinking about it all again gave him a headache. In fact, this whole debacle had also seriously affected his appetite. He hadn't even been able to catch one measly deer. It was in this moment as his stomach began to rumble for want of food that his amber-hued gaze landed on the half-full bottle of red liquid resting on Bella's counter. Just the color of crimson made his mouth begin to salivate...

Edward barely registered what his own body had taken the initiative of doing. His hands were already wrapped around the bottle, completely ignoring the label, and tipping the contents back to pour down his throat when the vile liquid burned him from the inside out. He began to cough violently and spewed the rest out of his mouth before heaving the bottle away from him. The plastic busted instantly at that speed when it hit the wall with a resounding pop, red splatters everywhere.

His hands held his throat as he fell to his knees gasping, unable to grasp what atrocity had just come over him. He was a vampire! He was stronger than this! What had wounded him this badly?

When finally, he regained the ability to speak, his eyes were smoldering with pure hatred, "What was that wretched liquid?!"

Bella looked at him quizzically, clearly baffled at his reaction.

"Edward, I have a cold. You just drank my cough syrup... Why? What did you think it was?"

All the anger drained away from his face only to be replaced with a light dusting of pink on his cheeks that stood out starkly from his naturally pale pallor, "Oh, that's what I figured it was."

This was just not his day.