Fitzwilliam Darcy x reader

If I could tell you all the ways Fitzwilliam Darcy was a good man, perhaps you would be surprised. To everyone around him, he was a serious, proud, judgmental nobleman. But to me? Well, to me, he would always just be Fitzy - a childhood nickname that I had failed to drop, even well into adulthood. Much of course, to his chagrin.

Perhaps you would be shaking your head and telling me that I was wrong to think this way, especially if you had the privilege to meet him. He always did come off as aloof to others, unbeknownst at times to even himself.

Maybe that's why befriending him in childhood gave me a secret glimpse into his world, his nature, and his compelling personality. Because I was the only one allowed to see it. Myself and his sister, of course.

The basket on my arm swung back and forth in the light breeze, springtime flowers brushing the hem of my skirts as I continued to trudge towards the manor that the Darcys' called home. Life was very different since he had married, I admit. Elizabeth was a lovely young woman, well-mannered, even-tempered... I did admire her greatly. But ever since, things had sadly changed between myself and Fitzwilliam. We no longer had the bond of closeness with which we had become so accustomed in our youth. To be expected, of course, now that he had committed his love and life to Elizabeth but it still left a bitter sadness welling up within me that she now held the secrets within his own heart that I'd once been privy to knowing.

I shook off the sadness though, determined to enjoy my walk. It wasn't often that I indulged on trips such as these anymore, not since mother had grown so ill. But all the same, it was a nice change just to be walking these familiar paths once again. Sooner than expected as my thoughts had carried me far away, the beautiful sunlit manor came into view and a smile split my face.

From the large glass window, I could just see Georgiana wave to me. Returning the gesture, I made my way closer to the front door where the footman courteously let me inside. After being announced, Georgiana swept me up into a friendly embrace but I was shocked to find tear stains on her cheeks when she pulled away.

"Georgie, what is wrong? What has happened?" I inquired, instantly becoming concerned for my friend.

She shook her head and sniffed, her blonde curls bouncing as she did, "Oh, it is dreadful, just dreadful. It's Fitzwilliam and Lizzie. They-they-they have quarreled. I was resting and awoke to shouting. I heard Lizzie sobbing before the door shut. I-I do not know what to do or what has happened between them. Fitzwilliam's locked himself in the drawing room, he-he is inconsolable. Please, you have to talk to him,"

My eyebrows rose in shock before crumpling into that of distress for my best friend. Furiously, I began to nod in response to her predicament, "Of course, of course. You know I'd do anything for him."

As it turned out, the drawing room was not locked. In fact, the door was slightly ajar as I made my way inside. Sitting at a desk near the window, sunlight streaming down on swathes of dark hair was my dearest friend in the world who now seemed very broken. As the door shut behind me softly, his tear-filled blue eyes met mine before he glanced away.

My heart went out to him, aching so deeply for the sadness I saw lurking in his gaze. Of all the people I knew, he deserved sadness the least. But sweet Elizabeth did not deserve her own sorrow that I knew from the slight sounds coming through the ceiling, she was experiencing now as well.

Striding over, I laid a hand to rest on his forearm ever so gently.

"Talk to me. What happened between you two?" I whispered, my voice soft, concerned in the hushed silence of the room.

He was silent for several minutes, in which I had begun to think he would not speak at all, when finally he did, "George Wickham is asking for a loan, a sum of money he needs for the new house he's buying for himself,"

I frowned, brows creasing as I tried to work out in my mind the reason that this would be cause to quarrel. But he answered before I had the chance to even ask.

"For himself and Elizabeth's sister, Lydia,"

Realization dawned on me then and I began to nod, taking a seat beside him gingerly, "And Elizabeth wants you to give them that loan. For the sake of her sister,"

Slowly, Fitzwilliam nodded, his slender, pale fingers tracing absentmindedly along the edge of the desk, "It is not...I would love to make her happy, I would do anything to make her happy but..."

"...but just not this. Not when it means helping the man who hurt Georgiana so arrantly,"

He shook his head, strands of dark hair falling across his forehead as he did, "I never intended it to become a quarrel or hurt her in any way, shape, or manner. I just...I cannot help him,"

My voice was reassuring as I finally spoke up once more, "But Fitzy, you cannot see it in that way. You have to see it as helping Lizzie - for that is exactly and only what it is. If you do this then it is to help her and for the sake of her sister. Do not think of it as helping George. I know that is difficult beyond measure, believe me, I do. But if you love Elizabeth like I believe wholeheartedly that you do, then you will put this quarrel to bed as well as your hatred for George if only for the sake of her. Do this out of your love for her, Fitzwilliam. Nothing more, nothing less."

My childhood friend that was dearer than most was quiet for a long time, contemplating, thinking...until finally a small smile found its way to his mouth and he began to nod.

"You are right, of course-"

"-which is really no different than any other time," I quipped, interrupting him teasingly.

He shot me a mock-exasperated look to which I only laughed as he continued, "-I cannot think of it on the pretext of my dislike for George. No matter what contemptible misdeed or wrong he has done me.... I have to think of it as only for her."

Fitzwilliam put his hand on mine briefly, giving it a friendly squeeze before exiting the drawing room, coat tails swishing behind him as he headed in the direction of his and Elizabeth's shared bedroom to apologize and console his wife.

As he left, a bit of sunlight still streaming through the windows caught his hair, lightening the strands as it did to which it looked as if he had a halo around his head. But as soon as he stepped out the door, he was back in shadow and disappearing from view. My eyes flitted out the window then, observing the bright sunshine and blooming flowers.

Gently, my hand came to rest on the one Fitzwilliam had touched. It was then that I knew the feelings would always be there, that racing heart, that strong bond we had always had. But as happy shouts and laughter reached my ears from somewhere upstairs, I knew that his happiness mattered more than my own in this matter of the heart.

For was that not the only wish one would wish for someone that they loved so deeply and so dearly? To have their happiness be of the utmost importance?

That had always been my own wish for my dearest Fitzy.

Always.