Chapter 28: Agape

Would you mind if killed you? Understand that I need to? Wish that I had other choices. 'Cause you have turned into my worst enemy, you carry hate that I don't feel. It's over now, what have you done? What have you done now? There's a curse between us, between you and me.

- What have you done? (by Within Temptation)

The small transparent bag filled gradually, rhythmically, until it was no longer see-through but of a soothing, platinum color. The essence of physical life, if one might say so. Tom's headache was expanding all over his scalp, it was the mixture of sleep deprivation, trauma of both physical and mental nature, as well as the omnipresent threat to his life and of course the blood loss. 

Loki had urged him to drink, and as much as he would've wanted refuse to do what he said, he sipped some more water from the bottle. It was chilling and sent a shiver through Tom's body he could not suppress.  

Loki, who had knelt next to Tom's armchair and was disconnecting the now full unit from the tube, looked up to him briefly. If was so absurd, all of this, and he himself had likewise no idea why they even bothered to talk. 

"'Tis not that cold." 

The God of Mischief placed the unit carefully on one of the sterile tables and turned back to Tom. Loki retracted the large cannula with a swift movement and disposed of it, before quickly pressing down on the small circular wound with a clean swab. 

Tom shook his head, gently as to not add to the pain. "To you."  He drank some more, all the while Loki was twisting a ligature around Tom's crook of the arm.  

"A valid point you have." Loki agreed, sighing. He rose and turned to preparing the transfusion. "I had prepared some units before... before I knew what she was. My own life blood, of a golden color yet chilling to the bone. I should have known then, I should have known - "

He lowered his hand to the warm unit, pressing it against the burning sensation. 

" - after her body welcomed me with undying comforting warmth and her breath blowing hot against my skin, that she could never receive them. That she was not like me." 

Tom's enraged eyes shot at him, warning, daring. Knowing his wife had been with him, and not being able to blame one bit of it on his enemy, was a special kind of hell. Loki felt his own kind of love for her, so much could not be denied. He had told all of this instinctively, lost in thoughts and reminiscent in the past, not at one point had this been intended to be hurtful. It was solely what went through this man's heart and mind, and this man had not even noticed.

Invisible daggers shot into his back nonetheless. Tom's eyes darted around the room, looking for anything to - and there it was. Neatly arranged, sterile and reflecting the light mercilessly. Loki had went through every preparation he could think of, and what he predicated had come true - this chamber had turned into a theater for a c-section. Where there was a theater, there were scalpels. 

'Immortal' was such a false statement - no one and nothing was truly immortal. With a life expectancy of over five thousand years, gods were the most long-lived creatures of all and therefore considered worthy of the term. However, everyone and everything could be killed. Gods could endure a hell of a lot for sure and heal injuries considered lethal to humans, but they all shared one decisive liability. 

A stab through the heart, and it was done. It was what had killed Frigga - the gods and goddesses of Asgard had therefore never went into battle without chest plates. They were more valuable than swords and shields. Loki stood there with nothing but fabric covering his chilling white skin.