Chapter 21: Guilt

Xenia sat on the bed next to Caroline, vainly trying to get her to speak. It was frustrating, the woman who could once talk people to death was silent - well, almost. She would speak occasionally, but it was different. This wasn't entirely her.

She missed the old times, when they were but two normal girls against the world. The times when they both were human, without monsters and magic - these times had been so easy.

If Loki had fallen through another roof all of this would've never happened. Caroline would have never fallen for Tom and Loki never for her. Xenia would've been alive, too.

"Remember when Cole got so drunk he puked all over your anatomy book?" Xenia asked and smiled, her smile only weakened by the sight of her best friend's abdomen. It was unsettling, and she tried hard not to stare.

"He knew he was dead then." Caroline replied and returned the smile. "It's worth more than his whole life."

"And when we were in L.A.! Gosh, that's was so awesome. I've never had that much fast food in my life."

"Xenia, I remember everything clearly from my normal life. I remember what we both did, and what happened after - "

She hesitated.

"After?" Xenia encouraged.

"After he fell through our roof. The days of not knowing, the days of knowing and crying, the days after I thought I'd lost you forever."

"What else?" The angel asked slowly.

"Are you interrogating me, Xenia?"

"I'm a lawyer, so, duh."

Caroline exhaled audibly through her nose and smiled. "I'll give you that one."

They both remained silent for a moment. Xenia knew that Caroline wouldn't answer any more questions at this point, and even if she would, it would've only hurt her.

"Say his name, Caroline." Xenia urged softly. "You both deserve so much at least."

"I can't."

"But you do know it?"

Their conversation was interrupted as Tom and Edward walked in. They had been out, for some fresh air as the girls assumed. Little did they know, it had been more of a war council. Xenia would be informed soon.

She liked Edward, more than one should after knowing him for such a short time. Xenia chastised herself, she must not think like that. It was more than complicated already, as an angel.

Not all souls are granted the mercy of redemption. She had been, as a guardian angel, and creatures like her were meant to remain pure on their path to redemption. If she let this go on, the consequences were clear - banishment to Earth forever.

Hell was empty, for all the devils were here.

She contemplated if it was a bad thing. Did she not want to stay there? Do whatever she wanted, forever. The lure of the forbidden, it was tremendous, even for a guardian. As all destructive things.

As she walked out into the main room, Xenia thought to herself, she had no problem really with becoming a fallen angel. Their name was characteristic, 'fallen' meant they 'fell' to Earth in the course of their banishment.

It just made so much sense then. I would be like him and he like me. That was what she wanted, what she 'truly desired' as Loki would put it.

"You could at least put up a fight before surrendering so submissively."

She gasped and spun around, just to see him standing in the door frame, smirking.

"What?"

"I'm sorry, I really am, but I can't help it." Edward explained and approached. "I'm like Loki in that sense, it's my aura. Corrupts people."