Chapter 3: Beauty

(Tom's P.O.V.)

The day of my departure came. I had to be at the airport quite early, so I was already up at 5 a.m. preparing the last things. As much as I hoped Caroline wouldn't wake up and I could go without having to say goodbye, I wanted to look at her beautiful face one last time.

Two months were a long lapse of time when one was in love. But I had no right to complain. At least I could leave remembering how much fun we had during the last days,  we had spent every day and every night together.

My suitcases were neatly stored in the taxi as I wanted to leave her our car. She had to drive to work after all. Right when I was about to grab my hand baggage, I heard someone coming downstairs and hoped - for once -  it was him and not Caroline. 

Of course it was her, and she tried hard to hide her sadness. I dropped the bag instantly and embraced her tightly, enjoying this sensation of hers I would be denied for months. Who could blame me.

"I will quit. This is not right."   I stated and tried to get my mobile phone out of my jacket. Caroline was faster, she grabbed and held it behind her back, giving me a disappointed look.

"Absolutely fucking not. For someone so intelligent, your mouth does spill bullshit from time to time." She mumbled with annoyance. It was so early, I could not blame her for the language. 

"But I can see how much it hurts you! And you know it hurts me, too." I replied. Not that I thought it would change her mind. Nothing could change her mind... besides, Loki maybe. But his mind tricks were a whole different story. 

"That's the price for a career, Tom. We can't get everything we want without something to sacrifice, remember?"   Her expression was intense, her blue eyes shining with determination. She gave me my mobile phone back, apologizing for the bullshit-part. 

I sighed and kissed her forehead. Then I remembered something important I wanted to give her. This would be so much fun. Not.

"Listen, Caroline. I need you to do one thing for me, it is a tad delicate." 

"Delicate?"  She raised her eyebrow at me. 

"Yes." I swallowed. This was necessary. "Would you do me a favour and keep this with you?"  I told her sheepishly and handed her a black, little gun that was inside my jacket. Her eyes widened with shock as I held it out to her. She pushed it away and gave me an angry look.

"Why are you giving me this?"

"I want to make sure you can defend youself if needed."  No big deal, in my eyes.

"I can defend myself without a - without that! Where did you even get it, Tom? Tell me the truth."   She insisted furiously. The thought of her shooting someone with it was... eerie.

She had to be thinking I was involved in some kind of mafia or something like that. When in fact, it was so easy to get into certain 'circles' here. What an ugly world.

"That's not the point.  I have one with me and you have got the other one. Three bullets in your gun and one in mine, enough for the unlikely case that - " I shook my head slightly. "Please promise me you will carry it with you. Please."  I pleaded and held it out to her again.

Caroline seemed to fight with herself, but eventually she groaned and took it. Sometimes, I couldn't read her. Loki did that much better. 

"Fine, I will take it. But I will certainly not need it, especially with Loki around me."  She agreed unwillingly.

I couldn't argue with that. No because Loki was such an overly powerful protector - which he surely could be - but it was also, partially, because of him. The trust we all shared, it wasn't endless. It was something I could never tell her. I might as well be spilling oil into the fire.