Chapter 1: Explanations

(Tom's P.O.V.)

She held a car key in her hand and smiled like a child at Christmas. Loki and I exchanged looks - it had been his idea,  my fine tuning, and, well - some of Loki's tricks. He had sworn to me, he hadn't stolen it. Upon my pressing, I was only told to 'not be so over-righteous' and 'do with his word as I please'. Loki never reaffirmed. You could either take his word, or belie him. It's not like he overly cared.

Loki was a... special person. He refused to wear anything else than suits and of course his Asgardian stuff, deeply despising the way humans dressed. He preferred their 'formal attire' as he deemed it least 'tasteless'. As it wasn't my business, I didn't comment. Caroline did often enough. We, for once, wore the same - having come from a job interview, I still had my suit on. 

She pushed a strand of hair out of Loki's face which had dared to disengage itself from the rest of his 'magnificent had of hair'. Gosh, his talking was always so orotund. His hair was longer than mine, it had regrown over his shoulders but was pushed back with hair gel. He loved it. It wouldn't take too long and Caroline would force yet another haircut upon him as she couldn't stand having him run around 'like a hobo'. 

"Caroline first."  Loki and I said in unsion. I was slightly annoyed while he just flashed me a grin. This was one of those 'little things'. I could be calm, much so. But it was those teases of his that literally tugged at my nerves. The way he looked at me, at her. Caroline always said I thought too much, but I knew deep down in my heart that most of these 'little things' were done on purpose.

"Guess who's the new owner of a BMW? I am!" She told us, stretching the 'a' overly dramatically.

"I guess someone took a liking to it."  Loki commented, raising an eyebrow. "Humans and cars! I will never understand you earthlings."  

"Well, Tom does." I put an arm round her, giving her a light kiss on her forehead. "I know it was his idea!"

I saw Loki clenching his teeth and couldn't help but feel satisfied. Don't get me wrong,  I liked Loki and appreciated what he did. But it satisfied me nonetheless. "And how would you know it was?"   

He closed the book he had held shut and gave us his complete attention. There was something in Loki's gaze I couldn't describe. Something I didn't have. His eyes were hypnotic and one was liable to lose oneself in them. Combined with his voice and eloquence - he had once talked me to trance. I had lost a bet, and, well - unimportant. But he was dangerous even without his magic.

Of course he wasn't trying anything, but there was a feeling I couldn't shake off. I wanted to protect Caroline from anyone.

"I know it wasn't your idea, Loki, 'cause if it was, I'd have gotten a flying carpet or something."   She laughed the last half of the sentence. Loki uttered a disbelieving, yet amused "What?" 

"Or a meat knife. Or a ring with poison. Or a dangerous - "

"Fine, fine, all you think I will gift to you is designated to kill someone. I understand. You are not even wrong."  He grinned at her, then at me. 

"I'm never wrong!"  She stuck her tongue out at him. "Now I forgot! Geez, I'm such an idiot, Tom! How was it?"  

"Oh, the sandwhich I had was formidable! The crust was just perfectly - " 

"The audition, you idiot!" She hit my shoulder playfully. I leaned back against the table and crossed my arms. "Did they choose you?" She asked excitedly and jumped up and down.

"Calm, my darling, 'tis only his labouring." Loki interposed and picked his book up again. He had never lost his position on the red armchair. I wanted to tell him not to call her 'darling'. That was my name for her. Mine.