Chapter 14: Fire

(Tom's P.O.V.)

It had became a habit of mine, that I would always wake up first. Like every morning, I awoke too early. Caroline was never up at that time, I gently reached out to wake her. There was no time to lose. My hand never made contact with her warm body. The blankets were empty and cold. Too cold.

"Bastard."  I cursed under my breath and drew my gun. No, this couldn't have happened while I was asleep, she would have screamed, nobody could have taken her that close to me. Still with the weapon up, I went to the bathroom door and knocked. How much I prayed that it was only my paranoia.

"Caroline?" I shouted, my voice cracking.  "Are you in there?"  No reply. Another two seconds passed, there was a faint whimpering which turned into a groan. It was her voice.

Without hesitation, I kicked the door open. The safety catch was released, whatever held her there was to die. I bursted  in and saw her bending over the toilet. In the next moment, she vomited. I petrified. 

"Darling, are you okay?"

I approached slowly and knelt beside her. She shook her head and pushed me away with her hand. The attempt was miserable, and a seconds later she collapsed into my arms. Her face was pale.

"Come on, dear." I murmured and attempted to pull her up. My hands assisted her as she washed her face and brushed her teeth, still unstable but at least to some extent responsive. I deemed it better to carry her back to the bed and laid her down.

"Better now?"

"Mhm-hm"  I pushed some hair out of her face and waited signified her to go on. "Probably a food intoxication."  She explained and closed her eyes again.

"But you didn't eat anything yesterday."

Suddenly, her eyes shot open. She looked shocked, her pupils dilated.

"Today's December 31st, right?"  She asked me, all the while a consuming panic was building up inside her. I could feel it, and I nodded while pushing her gently back into the mattress.

"Shit!"  

Caroline shook my hands off and walked across the room, counting with her fingers over and over again. What was wrong? Today was New Year's Eve but -  so what? 

"What is it?"

"My phone!" 

I waited, watched her intently while her fingers raced over the screen of her mobile phone. I couldn't have this any longer. "Would you please tell me what's going on?"  I took her arm, stopping her desperately. 

"I'm late." 

It instantly hit me. I knew what she was talking about. This was beyond impossible. We didn't - didn't have any contact that way for months. I could not have gotten her pregnant.

"You - "

She nodded, and started crying. I locked her in my arm immediately. What was this madness!

"Caroline, did he - "  

The thought was digusting, it was unearthly and sinful and depraved. It hurt to even consider it. Some women, in their shame and fear, kept silent about their ordeal. There was no way I could let Loki live if he had forced himself on her.

"Never." 

"How many days late are you?"  In any other situation, I would've blushed red. I didn't feel any of that shame then.

"Four."  I sighed at this, partially relieved. "It happened before, I don't know, could be the stress. Women react differently, it's not uncommon."  She explained and wiped away her last tears. "I'm so sorry, I'm a mess."