Chapter 5: Service

(Caroline's P.O.V.)

I slept the rest of the night, with Loki curbing the nightmares. Or my nocturnal brain capacity in general. I was simply grateful. 

Weird as I was, I awoke early in the morning to go to work and screamed when I saw him sleeping next to me. The memories of last night took their time to come and him in my bed was something... shocking. Damn it, this had to stop. 

After startling him and making him fall from the bed, I remembered why he was here and kicked myself mentally for my stupidity. For a doctor I did prove to be an idiot from time to time, there was no denying that. 

Loki groaned. He rose and rubbed his back, all the while shooting me this certain 'Midgardians are so stupid' look. I had earned it.

"Good morning!"   I squealed in an attempt to save the day, but he didn't reply. "I'm sorry, my fault." 

"It is."  He answered, still rubbing his back. "I assume you are going to work now?"  

"Yup." I hesitated, biting my lip. This had all been embarrassing enough already. I walked around the bed to where he had sat down on the edge. I didn't want to make this too emotional.  "You know, Loki, I just wanted to say - thank you for, for last night. You didn't have to do this."

Loki lifted his gaze to my face. I tried to hold it, which was exhausting. He'd be a respectable competitor in any staring contest. But it didn't unnerve me, it seemed peaceful. He reached out and took my hand, giving it a light squeeze. A very, very tender smile framed his mouth. He pulled me closer and raised my hand to his lips.

The chills started on my neck and reached my entire body in an instant. This bloody, seductive, royal bastard. His lips weren't cold. I let him proceed, it didn't feel wrong. It was only his way of saying 'At your service, my princess'. Nonetheless, it was good Tom didn't have to see this.

I disengaged my hand when the tolerable time for his sweet gesture was over. Loki stood up and left the room so I could get ready. I did so peacefully, not at all in a hurry.  After that, I went down, quickly ate a bowl of cornflakes and brushed my teeth afterwards.

Shouting a 'See ya later' up the stairs, I grabbed the car key and left, driving into the city.

Work was harder this time, more tasks in less time. I got along quite well and my coworkers helped me when I had problems. Problems like this old woman telling me I looked impossibly messy.  I was about to tell her 'Well, Marge, good thing ya won't have to suffer it in the long run'. 

Dr. Barton walked in right in time, so I swallowed my salute to her ancient age. I might as well hide the bitch in me at first.

They days passed slowly, every day was more boring than the one before. Tom called me whenever the could, but he was so busy, and as was I.  We didn't have the time to speak every day, also because of the time difference. Also something which should be mentioned: 

The relationship between me and Loki intensifyed.

I asked him to spend the nights by my side and he agreed to do that, but before you judge, it was a hundred percent platonic. In fact, he never touched me more than necessary, which made it a lot easier for me. Truth was, I couldn't renounce his presence. True, the were a few borderline gestures like the overly intense hand kiss that morning, but it wasn't too often. 

Part of me allowed it out of guilt. I didn't have the heart to reject him, which was stupid, since I wasn't doing anyone good with that. But I couldn't help it, I needed him, I was selfish. 

The nights grew colder with every day winter was getting closer,  I needed a warm light to suffer with me. I felt protected when Loki was there and we got the chance the talk about so many things. Often, we stayed up hours and hours with him telling me stories of his childhood and me listening attentively, as if addicted to his voice.