Chapter 24: Endgame

They crashed into the chamber at once. Sorcerer, shadow, angel. 

Loki had risen and prepared himself for whatever was to come. He looked worn out, exhausted even and marked by fear for his lover's life. She lay there so peacefully, not perceiving the spectacle, Loki thought bitterly. 

"Get away from her." Tom growled, pointing a gun at Loki, whom had raised his arms defensively. 

"I have not summoned you here to fight." He replied, his voice calm and smooth yet giving a hint of distress. 

"Show me where I asked." Xenia retorted defiantly, pushing her way through the tall men framing her. Edward put his arm in front of her, in a holding-back manner, but Loki saw more to it. Of course. "Now do as we say, and maybe we'll kill you mercifully."

"Good to see you, too, Xenia." Loki smirked slightly at her, then returned his attention to Tom, whom he considered the leader of the group. "Caroline's current state is instabile. She has lost a lot of blood."

Loki took a step forward, sending a wave of tension through the room. "We have enough differences, and I will not even pretend I don't want to kill you all. But she needs us, all of us, now. I ask for a truce."

"What is it exactly you need from us?" Xenia questioned. 

"Blood first of all. I cannot be her donor, nor can you both." He nodded to Xenia and Edward. "Tom needs to bleed, or she is lost." 

"Let me reformulate. What use are you to us in this situation? Why shouldn't we just dispose of you right now, and save her ourselves?" 

"Because you can't." Loki cut her off uncompromisingly. "Tom has the knowledge but not the magic, your new accomplice has magic but could never hope to use it correctly. Would you risk it, in her dire state?"

They all knew the answer, Xenia fell silent. 

"Tom. You understand best what I am asking of you, and if you be honest, there is nothing left to decide." 

And so it happened. 

---

"I don't like this, not the slightest bit." Xenia hissed at Edward. "We have him right here."

"Nor do I, but I'm afraid he's telling the truth." 

Tom had chosen to stay by Caroline's side, even if it meant constantly seeing Loki's face. The angels had fled into the library for the sake of privacy, but even that seemed insufficient. 

"So what did you come here for, then?" 

Edward glanced at her shortly, before pulling her out of the library and somewhere more discreet. "I came here to kill Loki. But my appearance and meddling has caused it all to go down like that. She wasn't supposed to fall on that fucking rock, she ran to save me. So now I have to do whatever it takes to save her life. Loki becomes second on the list."

"He's already plotted all our deaths, you do know that?" 

"No one knows this better than me." 

"Taken a liking to my son I see." Loki had also left the library, with some used cloths on his arm. "Not that it surprises me." 

"Go fuck yourself." Xenia hissed after him, but Loki had already dismissively walked down the stairs. 

"Hey, let's tone it down. We needed to concentrate." Edwards chastised her sternly, and pulled her closer into his arms. "Don't lower yourself to his level more than absolutely necessary."

Loki had reappeared as fast as he left, with fresh white towels. At the sight of the two angels like this, he actually came to a halt and stared.  "You do realize, the 'love' you think you feel is but a manipulation of your brain transmitters by this man?"