Chapter 15: Burnt

(Tom's P.O.V.)

Humans thought, pain ended with death. Like a warm, sullen cloak, wrapping around a shaking man in the tundra. Why lie at that point - I had always been afraid of death. No necessarily being dead per se, but the process of dying. The body decaying until the last drop of life left. 

They were wrong, I was right. Dying was the unbearable climax of my cursed reality. I had always believed, Caroline and I had so much more to see, to live. There would've been no point in a life so short and meaningless for me - would there? And to think that I came into existence for nothing, nothing, nothing at all - God, what a misery! 

Once my legs gave away, the weight of my body would pull me down and break my neck. A cruel death, brought upon me by the one who died so I could live. Did I want to live? I burnt, my soul and my body had caught fire.

I felt then that my frantically trembling heart was racing towards its last beat, I looked up and forced my eyes open. The night of a full moon, the humans celebrated the start of yet another year. A beautiful sight, so wonderful in this tragic night. Stars racing across the sky, I felt like these falling stars, on fire and much too soon, burning out.

The brightest one seemed to be coming at me. Was it the lack of oxygen causing this feeling, that it was descending towards me? No, it wasn't burning, it was glowing blindingly. Too bright. 

What an irony of fate! So I was neither to be burnt, nor choked, but slain by a star. That was what Caroline once called a dark fate. I closed my eyes and waited for the impact. Broken in this broken house, I would go up in smoke and fire. 

Ash to ash.

I fell hard to the ground then, right into the flames. I cried out, and faster than I had time to feel the pain, something ripped me off the ground. In the next moment, I flew through the wall and landed outside in the garden. Shadows danced around me, Earth spun on and on, while the claws of hell ripped me down. Only enough strength was left for me to see the house collapsing on itself in an enormous explosion.

Dust to dust.

Darkness came crushing upon me.

---

I feel you fading away. To hell with me, for I have sinned. I had taken a woman whose fate was to be with another man. I had fled with her, ripped her away from her destiny. I existed because of a perverse mood of nature, as something which should not be.

I awoke to a searing pain, everywhere. Eyes, do open. So weak, my limbs so heavy, was it gravity which pulled me down, down to hell? I didn't deserve hell, or so I told myself. Fighting this thought was too exhausting. I let it consume me, accepted this. 

Nevertheless, I needed to see. I forced my eyes open, and a grueling fear soared inside me. My sight, I couldn't - couldn't make out a thing. It wasn't dark, so much I could perceive. My eye lids fluttered wildly, attempted to shake off whatever blurred my eyes. I already felt tortured, while fully aware that my torment had not even begun.

"You're awake."

The voice of a female, but not Caroline's. Was this awake? Who else could it be? In an attempt to tilt my head I lacerated the burnt flesh of my neck and groaned, racked in pain. 

"Don't move, it'll only get worse."  The woman bent over me.

"Who are you?"  My voice cracked, I wasn't sure she even heard it. "Frigga - "

"Um, what?" 

No, this voice, I knew it. The bells rang violently in my head. This wasn't Loki's mother. So paralyzed, so helpless, I began to realize that sometimes, mental torture was the worst. This was a nightmare.