Chapter 10: Abuse

(Caroline's P.O.V.)

"Open the door!" I heard him yelling, the voice that sometimes sounded heaven-like and now frightened my very soul.

"Stop it, Loki!" I shouted back, though quavering terribly. I had no control of neither body nor voice, gravity felt a hundred times stronger. This mansion, I had to get out out, immediately. Loki was in every measure of this place, in every fiber, it was making me sick. Was it this cursed place that had caused my nightmares all along?

"Do as I say!"  Loki threatened, and I couldn't help but cry out in fear. "I will get to you even if I have to break all of this into pieces." 

"What do you want! Leave me alone!"  

What was his problem? What had I done? Was this a cruel test? He could rip the door off its hinges, set the entire world on fire, if he only wanted. All it would take was a movement of his hand. What kind of sick joke was this? 

I stood up determinedly and crossed my arms in front of my chest. There was no time for me to fall apart now. I tried to keep it all inside me, all my parts together for just these few seconds. I dared him to come in, I wasn't going to let him lay a finger on me.

God or not, his bitching around wouldn't get the best of me.

"The aftermath of your doings will come crushing upon you, if you won't - "

"Oh, for fuck's sake!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. "If you want me shaking with fear, you won't have it. Is this what Asgardian princes do? What your mother taught you? Beating women is for cowards, Loki, you should know that!" 

Right in the pride. That's how you hurt Loki. I didn't need a staff or magic or my fists. Words could cut like swords, and while I wasn't nearly as good in verbal combat as him, I knew I had hit a nerve there. His pride was all he had as a prince without kingdom, and here was I spitting at his face.

For a moment, there was no sound from outside. He wasn't banging on the door, nor was he shouting. Total silence. I wasn't going to open that door willingly then, I wanted him to face the consequences of his behaviour. 

The aftermath of my doings. Good gracious Lord, the only 'aftermath' I was suffering then was all the adrenaline rushing through my body, making me sick. I was going to vomit any second, and I had this black hole in me, sucking my guts in. I was having a panic attack, the very same one I had suppressed for as long as I could. 

I laid down on the bed and closed my eyes, breathed, tried to slow down my pulse.

What happened to Loki? Why was he mad at me? I was allowed to stay at my husband's house, I was an adult, for crying out loud! That moment when I saw him in his room... I saw through his eyes into his soul and saw evil. Moments ago I would've sworn he would never hurt me again.

The trust I had given him, the forgiveness, I felt it vanishing.

Loki was one of the few people I remembered, he was the closest one I knew from before the accident. He had healed me, given my legs back to me. And then this. I'd have put my shirt on that man, and then he turned on me like this. It was madness! The living room. I would never shame him for being angry, hell, I did remember my anger management issues. But his behaviour was beyond excuse. 

There had to be something else... or it was Loki who had serious anger management problems. But since I had forgotten nothing about him, or at least so I believed, I would've had definitely known better that he was usually the calm dude when people freaked out. It was getting very suspicious.

I would have died to have Tom with me that moment. He could have consoled me, he would've soothed me and kept telling me that everything was alright.  How would he have reacted if he'd been there?