Chapter 7: With me

(Tom's P.O.V.)

Loki

"This is a miracle."   Someone, a paramedic, uttered, somewhere in the distance, but I was numb to every sensation.

I thought my heart had shattered for good when I saw her kissing Loki, but that was nothing in comparison to what I was experiencing now. I couldn't breathe. Blood gathered in my mouth. I forgot how to breathe. 

"Okay, everyone move!" A man shouted, somewhere. "To the hospital, immediately! Come on, guys!"  

The shouting continued, foreign people were dragging her body away. I just kept staring at the road, unable to blink, to move. I still don't know how I had  managed not to die, but sometime after Caroline was inside the ambulance, someone stepped near me. They asked me if I wanted to get in.

It was like they didn't say anything, as if they didn't exist.

"Sir, do you hear me?"

Nothing.

"Sir, we will take your wife to the hospital now. You need to come with us. We still need to examine you."

Who are you?

"Doctor Barton, he's in a state of shock. Guys, help me get him up."

The voices were fading, everything was fading.

Slowly, intimately, painfully.

Then everything went black. My mind, my senses, my everything failed.

---

(Caroline's P.O.V.)

A light. It was white, no, yellow. I had once learned, the light we saw was never white, nor yellow. It contained the entire light spectrum. We just couldn't separate them. The light then hit objects, which absorbed most of it, and reflected only one wave length. This wave length, hitting our cones and rods in our retina, is what our brain then recognized as a colour. 

Oh, God. My brain, my head hurt. A dull pain, everywhere. Something was on the back of my hand, it was heavy.  My eyes were slowly adjusting to the annoying light, I tried to lift my right hand. The muscles of my arm twitched at first, weak. It took me a few attempts to finally raise my hand to my face. 

The first thing I noticed was a golden ring around my ring finger. There was also an IV line on the back of my hand, but that wasn't nearly as confusing and interesting as the ring. I was a doctor, IV lines bored me. 

There was something about this ring that I couldn't put my finger on. My mind was so slow... Why was I wearing this ring? It looked like a wedding ring. And who was wearing the other one?

There was someone. Someone back, in the remotest corner in my brain. Gosh, this was frustrating beyond thought. I didn't even know what I didn't know. 

If only Loki was here. 

A shock interrupted my train of thought. Goosebumps spread across my skin, from my neck to my legs. I remembered a man. Very tall, pale and black-haired. Narrow cheekbones, not a single flaw on his skin, thin lips and a gaze not from this earth. 

My friend, the norse God.  Loki, Loki, Loki. Gosh, I was in hospital, and whatever had taken me here, he'd be angry about it. He was always so stressed, so tense. He lived with me.

I was Caroline Irene Adlers. I was 26 and I was a resident, or registrar. The man with those emerald green eyes was my friend. He killed my parents, but I forgave him.

There was a book, about a perfume? This didn't make any sense, and it was frustrating me. 

I noticed a light pressure on my other hand that still lied lifelessly next to my body. No, there was another hand holding it. I followed the hand, the arm, the shoulder and the neck with my eyes and arrived at a face.