013

june 16th, 2020
2:08 pm

AYOLUWA'S BACKYARD WAS TINY but that didn't stop her from using it

The grass was green and dry around her bare feet, and the sun was bright and the taste of Yuna's Crush was sweet on her lips as she hummed the chorus.

The blush pink dress she was wearing contrasted against her cinnamon skin and the sunshine only brightened the lip gloss she was wearing.

"I feel a little rush, I think I got a little crush on you," Ayoluwa sung lowly.

Behind her, she could hear the screen door opening and someone step out from the house to the bare backyard.

"Is it stupid to want her to come? Even after everything she's done?" Ayoluwa asks without turning around, "Or rather hasn't done?"

"No," Camille huffed a great sigh as she joined Ayoluwa in the grass, "You only graduate from high school once."

"Did you give Lauryn her snack? You know how she gets when she's hungry."

"Yeah, she's still eating it. What's been on your mind?"

Ayoluwa scoffs, "You mean besides the new niece or nephew I'm gonna have to raise?"

"Yes." Camille replied in a solemn tone.

Ayoluwa was silent for a second, "You know that couple that comes by the restaurant a lot? Always asks for me to serve them?"

"The Garcias? Yeah, why?" Camille asks.

"Every time I serve them, they always pray before they start eating. And he always kisses her hand and then her face lights up. And I just wonder... What else do I have to do before I meet someone who makes me smile like that?" Ayoluwa turns her face to look at her grandmother.

Camille was silent, taking in Ayoluwa's words.

"Maybe part of the problem is my looks. Maybe Levi was right when he said it might be better to comb out the locs." Ayoluwa continued as she ran her hands over her long locs, wavy from the braids.

Camille turned and looked at her, own gray locs swinging a little, "Do you think I'm ugly?"

"What? No, of course not."

"And if you look just like me, and you do, let's face it, what does that make you? Huh?"

Camille lightly patted Ayoluwa's cheek, "You're beautiful. Now take these dumb ideas out ya head and go put on those heels and your cap and gown so I can take some pictures for my Facebook."