045

august 28th, 2020
8:57 pm

WHOEVER HAD THEIR HANDS pressed against Ayoluwa's eyes couldn't stop laughing

"Where are we going?" Ayoluwa asked for the umpteenth time, "What's going on?"

The person remained quiet only prodding Ayoluwa forward.

She stumbled into something wooden, jamming her foot against it, "Ow!" Ayoluwa gritted her teeth.

There was rustling and then Ayoluwa could see again.

She blinked a couple of times to properly take in the scene before her.

"Surprise!" A myriad of voices called out.

Ayoluwa's living room had been decorated for a party with balloons tied to the back of the kitchen chairs. The room was dim with the candles of a sheet cake lit up.

"Wow. What is this?" Ayoluwa laughed as the person, Levi, moved to stand behind the cake with the rest of the group.

"This is your You-Got-Signed-And-We're-Proud-Party!" Giovanni exclaimed.

"The contract isn't done yet but-." Ayoluwa started to say.

"Stop being so negative!" Nicholas rolled his eyes.

Ayoluwa grinned then slid over to stand near her grandmother and take Lauryn from her grip.

Lauryn was noticeably sleepy, quiet as she gripped onto Ayoluwa's neck with both arms and resting her head on Ayoluwa's shoulder.

"I got champagne. Don't tell your parents." Camille pointed at all of the boys then turned to Ayoluwa, "You're drinking tea. I can't believe my baby is gonna be a recording artist!"

Camille grinned and then visible tears flickered into her brown eyes causing Ayoluwa to make a somber face, "Oh, no. Don't cry, grandma. If you cry then I'm gonna cry."

"I'm fine," Camille wiped her left eye, "Your mom would be so proud of you. You're such a star."

Ayoluwa could feel tears wet her irises at the compliment, "Oh, no. I'm crying now."

With a laugh Ayoluwa flicked away her tears with her free hand.

The sound of Lauryn's soft snoring filled Ayoluwa's left ear and she pressed a finger to her lips to indicate that everyone should be quiet.