018

june 23rd, 2020
10:05 am

NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME since his death, Joshua dreamed of his grandfather

He dreamed that the two were on a baseball field, except Joshua and his grandfather were at least several feet apart.

Not close enough to touch but close enough to communicate.

His grandfather was humming a song loudly as he kept his face turned towards the sun.

"Grandpa!" Joshua cupped his hands around his mouth to yell.

He went from humming to singing in a rich baritone, "If you give me half a chance, I'll prove this to you, I will be patient, kind, faithful and true, to a man who loves music, a man who loves art, respects the spirit world and thinks with his heart."

The song that his grandfather sang only grew louder, repeating itself.

Joshua tried to move towards him but his feet felt glued to the grass.

When Joshua looked down, his feet looked normal, so he didn't understand why he couldn't walk forward.

"I'm coming. Wait." Joshua said but his grandfather gave no gesture that he had heard Joshua's words.

He turned and started to walk off of the field, the last verse of the mystery song still on his lips.

"Wait! I'm not ready for you to go! Please!" Joshua cried out but it was too late.

His grandfather exited the stadium and...

Joshua woke up in a light sweat and looked around.

He was back in the bedroom that his parents occupied when they came here alone.

The sun was streaming through the half open blinds making Joshua raise a hand to protect his eyes.

Joshua shakily rose from the bed and padded into the bathroom.

After getting dressed, brushing his teeth and briefly washing his face, Joshua made his way down the stairs to the kitchen.

On the circular table was a plate piled high with food: grits, hot links, hash browns and a bowl of cut up fruit.

A peace offering.