SEVENTY TWO

72|SAVOURING THE LAST MOMENTS

Celeste sat cross legged on the bed beside her husband, sipping at his cup of tea as her head still pounded from waking up from the curse a second time now.

"I can't cast a spell. I can spell "spell"." Emma argued with Rumpelstiltskin.

"You can. It's in you." He argued back, leaning against Celeste as the poison became too much.

"How? Here? Like, from my brain?" She questioned with disbelief.

"Just try." Celeste spoke up, knowing it was becoming hard for Rumpel. "And stop thinking so much."

"Conjuring magic is not an intellectual endeavour." Rumpel sat up in annoyance at the blonde woman. "It's emotion. You must ask yourself, "Why am I doing this? Who am I protecting?" Feel it."

Celeste pulled him back on to her side as they watched Emma turn around and breathe deeply. A low rumbling filled their ears as a small gust of wind hit them.

"You feel it?"

"Yeah, I think I did." Emma said proudly and turned back to look at them.

"Good girl. Very good girl." Rumpel whispered, barely conscious as his eyes tried to stay open.

"Hey, stay awake." Celeste kissed his head, worrying as she knew no mundane medical skills she has would save them. "We have so much to catch up on."

The store shook, disturbing the couple as everyone looked around in fright. Charming running into the backroom with Neil.

"It's them." He updated them all, preparing them for the fight that was about to go down. "Regina and Cora, they're here."

They heard the front door burst open, Celeste staying with her husband while the other four stood in the front of the store ready to fight. Crashing filled their ears while Celeste held on to him closely, scared of what might happen. She wasn't ready to lose him again.

Emma and Neil ran back into the room, missing Snow and Charming which was not good. Emma drew the chalk across the doorway and pushed Neil back further into the room for safety.

"David?" Emma answered the phone as Celeste lay Rumpel fully down on the bed and draped a blanket over him, tucking him in and kissing his head. "For now. I've got the spell up in the back room. She's not with you?"

"You really do love him." Neil said, sounding shocked by the affection she showed the older man.

"With all my heart." She answered back before looking at Emma. "Is it Snow?"

"She's not with David." Emma sighed, standing guard with Neil.

"It's getting weaker." Neil stated as he watched the protection spell falter. "She's gonna get through."

"Maybe it's for the best." Rumpel inhaled heavily with pain. "At least this cursed power will pass from this world."

"No. No, you're not dying." His son wanted him while Celeste nodded in agreement.

"I am dying. That much is certain." He sighed and lifted his hand to cup Celeste's cheek. "I'm sorry, love. I broke my promises."

"I don't care." She smiled back at him, leaning into his warmth. "I just want you to stay alive. I would rather you than children and a pet and a normal life. If I wanted normal I wouldn't have come back from the market."

"Technically you didn't." He chuckled, coughing as the wound got worse.

"That was after we were married and I had a justifiable reason." Celeste playfully glared at him and kissed his palm. A stray tear fell down her cheek as she looked at him.

"I love you, Celeste. I didn't know I could love someone again until I met you. The moment you fell into my arms I knew I could never let you go." Rumpel stared at her lovingly. "I just wish things could be better. That I could fall into your ocean eyes and never leave."

"Didn't know you had that in you." Neil cleared his throat, not wanting to look at his father or the woman with waterfalls for eyes.

"Oh, I am full of love." He chuckled as he pulled his wife closer, letting her cry against his shoulder. "I've spent a lifetime looking for you. For a chance to say I love you. And I'm sorry."

"I didn't think you would go back on our deal." Neil sniffled, turning so he could see his father in the corner of his eye.

"I just made the wrong choice." Rumpel said apologetically, stroking Celeste's long dark hair. "May I?"

"I'm still angry." His voice broke as he glanced down at his father's extended hand.

"I know." Celeste moved back, knowing Neil would take his father's hand and hold him close. She stood up, letting the pair have their moment as she wiped away the tears and leaned against the desk with Emma.

The shield went down. And Cora entered the back room.