ONE

1|RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Her glassy eyes stared out the rain drop stained window, head leaning against the cold pane. The book that once lay on her lap was now thrown across the floor. Her Kingdom was in ruins, people starving and homeless in the streets, other kingdoms starting wars that she could not win.

"Your highness?" Her maid slowly approached the fragile princess, picking up the forgotten story and placing it safety on her vanity. "Your father asks for you."

"Of course." She scoffed, picking up her heavy skirt and maneuvering herself on to her bare feet. "Lead the way."

"Of course, your highness." The older woman lead the Princess away from her place of solitude, her only place of joy within the four walls of the castle.

"Father?"

"Celeste, my dear." Her father croaked, face pale as he sat up in his large four post bed. "Please, sit." He sighed before finally meeting his daughters ocean blue eyes, the same eyes which mirrored his late wife. "King Sven from the Northern Kingdom has offered a treaty of peace, his army to help fight the Southern Kingdom."

"We can save our kingdom? We can save our people?" Celeste brightened up, grabbing her father's cold, wrinkled hand.

"Yes." The King paused, looking away with guilt. "You are to marry King Sven's youngest son." Before his daughter could protest, he raised a hand to silence her. "It is final, they arrive in three days time."

"Father, no!" She jumped up, glaring down at the dying man. "You promised me I could marry for love. You cannot break your promise, please!"

"It is final! Think of your people. You are to be Queen." He shouted at her before falling into a fit of coughs. "Do not disappoint me."

"I am sorry, father. I shall leave you to rest now." Celeste turned her back on the dying man, leaving his room promptly with moon shaped cuts on her palms.

The large oak doors slammed behind her as she kicked over her bookcase, the books spewing across the ground as her mirror smashed into million of pieces. Blood dripped down her arm, tears down her cheeks as she crumbled to her knees.

"Celeste!" Her maid ran into the room, tripping over the mess to get to the shaking Princess.

"Leave me." She mumbled, shaking off the concerned woman. When the maid did not budge she raised her voice. "Leave me!"

"Sorry, your highness." Once again she was alone in her large room, the rain pitter pattering against her window as she crawled on to the small window seat.

Gaining back her strength, Celeste stumbled out the room and hid from the few guards left in the castle. Raising her hood over midnight hair, she escaped into the dreary weather.

She sat by the lakeside, eyes watching the rain drops dancing across the still lake, echoing with every beat.

"Are you lost, Princess?" A strange voice spoke from behind her, the hairs on her arms raising in fear. "Or should I call you Queen? I hear there is a wedding to be expected in a couple days."

"Who are you?" Celeste flew to her feet, almost falling into the lake but his scaly hand grabbed her waist and pulled her close. "Thank you."

"Why is a Queen all the way out here in this weather wishing so loudly?" He laughed, letting her go so she could compose herself.

"I am not a Queen." She dusted off her skirt, noticing the mud stains on the expensive material. "Who are you?"

"I am Rumpelstiltskin." He sang, doing a small bow in her direction. "I am at your service."

"Service?" Her brows furrowed in confusion. "What type of service?"

"Magic." Rumpelstiltskin waved his hand and a trail of light followed.

"Magic?" She cast her eyes down as she thought of her father. "Can it save my father? My kingdom?"

"Of course, dearie." He grinned, a twinkle of evil behind his dark brown eyes. "But remember, all magic comes with a price."

"I will pay that price if it means you can save my father and stop this forced marriage." Celeste begged him, her innocent eyes watching his face squint as he thought about her offer.

"This medicine will instantly heal your father from his illness." Rumpel conjured up a vial before her eyes, the purple liquid inside bubbling. "And your treasury has been filled."

"Thank you so much." She grabbed his cold hands and squeezed them with gratitude. He was shocked by the gesture, flinching away from her warmth. "How shall I pay you?"

"I will come collect your payment when the Northern Kingdom arrives." He passed her the vial and waved her off. "Now, run along dearie. You don't want to leave dear old daddy on his death bed."

"Thank you again." A strong gust of wind blew her cape away from her head, allowing the Dark One to finally see the Princess's beauty. Her doeful eyes and cherry pink plump lips taking his breath away as a stray ebony hair stroked her tanned cheek.

Celeste took one last look at the strange man before running away back to her castle to find her father, her hand clutching the vial like it was her life line.