FOUR

4|NEW LIFE

Celeste stood still behind her father, staring daggers at the perverted prince before them. She was waiting impatiently for the strange man to appear and collect his payment, hoping he was going to take her away.

Even with the revival of the kingdom, her father refused to abolish the arranged marriage with King Sven's son Igor. So here she stood listening to the two kings discuss the forced wedding which was to be tomorrow. Because the sooner the wedding the faster they can join the kingdoms.

"Did you hear anything I just said Cel?" Her father growled at her, grabbing her wrist harshly to bring her back into reality.

"I suggest you take you hand off my payment." Rumpelstiltskin appeared on the throne, lazily draped over it with a smug grin.

"The Dark One?" King Sven removed his sword from its sheaf and pointed it at the unfazed man. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm collecting my payment for helping the Western Kingdom." He stated casually, standing up and walking over to Princess Celeste. He forced her father's hand off her wrist and pulled her to his side. "Your dear princess and I made a deal."

"What do you want?" King John glared at him, angered that the Dark One dared stop him from punishing his daughter.

"Do I need to repeat myself?" Rumple rolled his eyes. "I am here to take your daughter away as payment. I think she will make an excellent caretaker."

"Caretaker?" Igor screamed, unsheafing his sword he placed it against the Dark Ones neck. "She is my bride and will remain by my side until eternity."

"No." Celeste grabbed the blade, her hand bleeding as she threw it away. "Unlike the Northern Kingdom, the West always pay their debts. That's why we will always be better than you."

"Come my dear, it's best we get you settled into your new home." She took his hand, the cold scaliness sending a shiver down her spine as they aparated into a cloud of smoke.

~•~

"Where are you taking me?" Celeste questioned as she tripped on her long skirt, doing her best to keep up with the fast walking man.

"Let's call it your room." He led her to his dungeons and opened the heavy wooden door, allowing her to see her new home.

"My room?" She gasped, starting to regret ever trusting the man. "This isn't a room."

"Well, it sounds a lot nicer than a dungeon." Rumpelstiltskin grabbed her arm and threw her into the small room, quickly shutting the door behind her.

"Why are you locking me up? I have nowhere else to go." Celeste begged, banging her fists on the door, hoping he was still listening to her. "You can't just leave me in here!" She screamed when she heard him walking away while cackling. "Rumplestiltskin!"

She glanced around the dimly lit room, noticing the small bed in the corner with a thin blanket. She sat on the edge, tears stinging her eyes as she buried her head in her hands.

Celeste lay her head on the pillow, pulling the thin blanket over her shivering body and praying for warmth. The sun was being to peak over the horizon when she finally found sleep, embracing it as she knew she had a long day ahead.

She awoke by the sound of the door unlocking and being slammed open, his crazy giggles echoing around the room. "Chop, chop. You have a lot of work to do."

"I'm coming." The Princess groaned as she rolled out of the uncomfortable bed and to her feet, quickly following the imp like man.

"You will serve me my meals and you will clean the Dark Castle." Rumplestiltskin informed her while sat at the head of the large table, no other chairs in sight.

"I understand." She placed the heavy tray at the other end of the table, slowly taking off the pot of tea.

"You will dust my collection and launder my clothing." He added, watching her carefully. When he saw her nod in understanding he continued listing off her chores. "You will fetch me fresh straw when I'm spinning at the wheel. Oh, and you will skin the children I hunt, for their pelts."

"Children?" Celestes eyes widened at the statement, the delicate cup in her hands dropping to the floor in shock.

"That one was a quip." He chuckled when he saw her distraught face. "Not serious."

"Oh thank goodness." She sighed in relief, bending down to pick up the dropped cup. "I'm so sorry, I chipped your cup. But I'm sure it's fine, you can hardly see it if you hold it like this."

"Well, it's just a cup." Rumple stated, not understanding why she seemed so scared of a chipped cup.

"Right, of course. I'm just being silly." He leaned back in curiousity as she rearranged the tray, her hands still shaking as she tried to hide the broken cup.