TWENTY

20|ORPHANS

"I am so tired." Bella said dramatically as she entered their apartment, pausing when she spotted two random children eating at their table. "Um, Emma, do you have another two children that found you too?"

"No, come here." Emma dragged her to the side with Mary Margaret to inform them about the situation. "Do you know them, Mary Margaret, do they go to your school?"

"I've seen them but, I had no idea. None of us did." Mary Margaret shrugged, looking over the blondes shoulder to look at the children.

"Ava and Nicholas Zimmer." The sheriff relayed the information to them from the children's file. "Said their mother was a woman named Dorrie Zimmer. She died a few years ago. No one seems to know her or remember her."

"And the father?" Bella asked curiously, leaning her shoulder against the stairs.

"There isn't one. At least not one that they know." Emma replied, the three women suddenly becoming very concerned about the children.

"What does Social Services say?" Mary Margaret questioned but Emma gave her a bad look, answering her question. "You didn't report them."

"I report them, I can't help them. They go into the system." The blonde woman tried to justify her actions.

"The system that's supposed to help." The teacher reminded her.

"Yeah, says the woman who wasn't in it for sixteen years." Emma snapped back. "Do you know what happens? They get thrown into homes where they are a meal ticket. Nothing more. These families get paid for these kids. And as soon as they're too much work, they get tossed out and it all starts over again."

"They're not like that." Mary Margaret tried to defend the government but Bella sent her a look, informing her other wise.

"All the ones I was in."

"What? We're just gonna adopt them?" Bella wondered what the blondes plan was with the two children.

"I wanna look for thier father." Emma revealed which shocked the ebony haired doctor who was beginning to see how the blondes childhood had broke her. "They don't know him. He may not know they exist."

"And you think if he knows he'll want them?" The pair looked at each other before looking back at the eager blonde.

"I don't know." Bella breathed out heavily at Emmas answer, suddenly becoming very worried about these children, her maternal instincs kicking in. "But what I do know, is it's hard finding foster families to take in one kid that isn't theirs. Let alone two. It's their best shot or-"

"We're gonna be seperated?" Ava sneaked up to the adults, almost in tears when she heard what Emma had said.

"No, that's not gonna happen." Emma reassured the girl.

"Please. Please don't let it." The girl begged before they all looked at her brother who was still sat at the table staring at them.

~•~

"Dr. Richards?" Mr. Gold said in confusion as the emotional woman wandered into his store, instantly spotting him standing behind his counter.

"Why is life so unfair?" Bella mumbled, walking over to him and leaning her head on his shoulder, arms dropped and hair covering her face.

"Come, let me put the kettle on, dearie." He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and moved her to the back room, sitting her down while he put the kettle on. "Here." He placed the mug of tea on the table beside her and passed her the book she had been reading. "I have work to do."

"Thank you." She curled up on the bed and placed the blanket over her lap before opening the book to the last page she read. It was not long until she heard the bell of the store go off.

"Emma. How lovely to see you." Mr. Gold greeted the customer entering his store. Bella's ears shot up at the sound of Emma's name and she quickly put her book down to listen to their conversation. "I'm flattered you'd take time off your busy schedule for me. What can I do for you, Sheriff?"

"I'm looking for information on this old compass. Any idea where it could have come from?" Emma replied with a demanding voice.

"Well, well." He hummed, the metal rattling as he lifted it up. "Look at the detail. You know, this is crystal. This jewelled setting. And despite the rather unfortunate shape it's in, this is actually a very unusual piece. The person who owned this obviously had great taste."

"And where would someone like that but it?" The blonde pushed for an answer, annoyed he was avoiding her question.

"Right here, of course." Mr. Gold finally answered, tapping the wooden counter.

"You know it?"

"Indeed. A piece like this is difficult to forget." He continued, glancing over his shoulder slightly, noticing the ebony haired woman hiding behind the drape eavesdropping.

"Do you happen to remember who bought it?" Emma asked again, trying to get him to give her the information she wanted.

"Well, I'm good with names, Miss. Swan, but maybe not that good." He chuckled to himself while limping over to the till. "However, as luck would have it, I do keep quite extensive records." He flicked through a deck of paper before finally stopping on one. "And yes. Here we are."

"What's your price?" Emma smiled, knowing exactly why the man paused.

"Forgiveness." Mr. Gold stated with a genuine smile which warmed Bella's heart.

"How about tolerance?"

"Well, that's a start." He nodded to her before reading the name she wanted to know. "The compass was purchased by a Mr. Michael Tillman."

"Anything else?"

"Just a name." He stated while putting the paper back. "But I generally find that's all one needs." Emma said nothing and turned around to leave the store. "Good luck with your investigation."

"The paper was blank." Bella raised an eyebrow at the man while leaning against the wall, arms crossed.

"You're very observant for an eavesdropper." Mr. Gold smirked, stepping close to her so she was trapped against the wall. "I don't tolerate eavesdroppers."

"What are you going to do? Put me over your knee and spank me?" Her face dropped when she realised what she had said, the look on his face showing he was considering it. "I'll be a good girl, promise. I'm going to make tea now." She stumbled over her words as she gently pushed him away and ran into the back room, face redder than a strawberry.