FOURTEEN

14|WALKS AND PANCAKES

Bella woke suddenly from her slumber, her head pounding as the sun seeped through the blinds. She squinted her ocean blue eyes around the room, panicking as she did not recognise her surroundings. It was not until Mr. Gold wandered into the room did she finally remember what happened last night, or at least the jist of it.

"I didn't ask you to marry me last night, did I?" She said with worry, slowing sitting up as he offered her a cup of tea.

"Don't worry, dearie." He chuckled, sitting at the desk near her. "Although you were mumbling about babies in your sleep."

"I was on the baby ward yesterday." Bella explained, downing the hot contents of her mug. "Thank you and I'm so sorry. Me and alcohol are not friends."

"It's completely fine, I was confused when I saw you standing at the door." Mr. Gold smiled at her, slipping his tea slowly unlike her. "Would you like to accompany me for a walk through the woods, to help clear your head."

"Thank you." She accepted his coat and followed him out his shop, pulling the fabric closer as the breeze picked up. She linked her arm through his and smiled to herself as they wandered through the streets of Storybrooke. The pair ignored the curious looks as they silently walked towards the woods. "Tell me about yourself." Bella finally broke the silence as they stumbled through the thick terrain.

"Like what?"

"Any wives or ex-wives I should be worried about?" She laughed, looking up at him with an innocent smile.

"I was married a long time ago but she left." Mr. Gold answered truthfully as he got lost in her ocean eyes. "I have a son."

"Why doesn't that surprise me." Bella hummed, admiring the sun streaming through the tree leaves. "Do you know where he is?"

"No." He sighed, looking away sadly. "What about you? Any husband's?"

"I've been single for as long as I remember." She shrugged, not liking the topic of conversation. "What's your favourite colour?"

"Ocean blue." Mr. Gold stated, looking deeply in her eyes again. "What is yours?"

"Green. It reminds me of life and trees." Bella let go of his arm and crouched down to stroke the soft petals of a flower. "I also like red, like a rose. Why me? From what I've heard you hate everyone so how did I manage to sneak into that cold bitter heart of yours?"

"By being you." He chuckled, helping her to her feet before they continued their walk. Bella giggled while using her hair as a curtain to hide her blush.

"You really know how to turn a girl red." She avoided his grinning face and walked faster, leaving him behind as she walked backwards. "Catch up, old man."

"Careful." He said joyfully but his face dropped as she tripped backwards over a log.

"I'm fine." She laughed, tears falling out her eyes as she held her stomach in pain. Bella could not stop laughing at how clumsy she was. "I blame the alcohol."

"Here, let me look." Mr. Gold slowly fell to his knees, wincing in pain. He gently rolled up her jeans and looked over the small bruise forming on her leg. "We should head back."

"I'll be fine." Bella whined, stumbling to her feet before helping him to his. "But I am getting hungry. Want to get something to eat?"

"How about we head to mine, it's not far from here." He offered while leading her in the direction of his home.

"You live here all by yourself." She gasped with wide eyes, looking over the large mansion before following him inside, noticing the dust collecting over the furniture and lack of life in the house.

"I have nobody to live with." He said casually, leading her to his kitchen and opening his filled fridge. "What do you want to eat?"

"Whatever you can make because I eat anything." Bella sat on the counter near him, watching as he gathered ingredients for pancakes and brought them beside her. She watched as he mixed up the batter and poured some on to a hot frying pan. "Can you flip it?"

"I can try." Mr. Gold balanced on his legs and threw the pancake in the air, it hitting the roof and sticking before falling to the floor.

Bella burst into laughter, falling off the counter as Mr. Gold poured a new one into the pan. She cleaned it up off the ground while wiping the tears of laughter off her cheeks.

"Good try." She kissed his cheek and bit her lip to stop herself from laughing.