Chapter 2

After that day, they always visit our house that month. My brother and Gun became close friends and so as we are but I know what's between us is a little bit different.

And I remember that when Gun and his Mom visit our house, he always brings a piece of flower and gives it to me. I was six years old back then but I learned to keep all the flowers he gave me on a used wine bottle.

I wanna keep all the flowers because I feel happy seeing them, and after one month in Japan Gun and his Mom went back to the USA, but our communication doesn't stop there.

As I grew up, Gun and I didn't stop talking to each other and we became closer than I expected.

"Tadaima (I'm home)" I said as I opened the door and removed my shoes here at the entrance and wore my house slippers.

"Okaerinasai (Welcome Home)" Mom said while washing the dishes in the kitchen.

"Anata no denwa o shiyo dekimasu ka (Can I use your phone?)" I said as I lean on the kitchen and pout at my Mother.

"Denwa o tsukau dake (Just use the telephone)" walang ganang sambit ni Mama. I nodded and smiled before I ran to my room and changed my clothes. I'm excited to call him.

I'm already in grade 6 now, and every time I go home from school, I will always borrow Mama's phone or the telephone to call him.

After changing my clothes, I quickly ran to the leaving room and seat beside the telephone. Dial his number and call him.

I can't hide my excitement whenever I'm going to call him even though he always does this every day, hindi pa rin ako sanay.

After a few rings, he answered, "Ohayo (Good morning)" I bet it's 4 in the morning in Washington right now while it's here in Japan it's quarter to 4 in the afternoon, siguro nagising ko nanaman siya.

"Good morning," he answered with his sleepy voice, I smiled and looked out the window.

Gun is already a first-year high school student just like my brother, "How's your day?" he asks. "It's fine" I answer and sigh.

"How about the essay contest?" He asked and I heard him yawn from the other line.

"Second place again," bagsak balikat kong sagot, last year I won second place too until now no improvements.

"Wow, congrats!!!" Gun said and make it sound so cheerful, alam kong ginagawa niya lang iyon para pagaanin ang pakiramdam ko dahil alam niyang gusto kong abutin ang 1st place pero kahit anong gawin ko di ko magawa.

"I know you're just saying that because you wanna make me feel better," I said and heard him sigh from the other line. "Because I know you'll feel sad again, don't worry maybe this is not your time but maybe next year you'll win a," he said, since I met him, his simple words comforts me a lot.

I smile and take deep breath to release this sadness inside of me, "By the wa---" hindi ko natapos ang aking sasabihin ng marinig ang malakas na pagkabasag ng pinggan mula sa kusina.

"What's that?" Gun asked, he heard it too. "I'll call you later," I said and turned off the call, and instantly ran to the kitchen.

"Koko de nani ga okuro ka? (what happened here?)" I asked when I saw a broken plate on the kitchen floor. While Mama remains standing and facing the sink.