Chapter Fourteen, The Fallout

"Merlyn, you need to rest." Gwen whispered, coming up behind her best friend who was watching Arthur on his knees in the middle of the Throne room dressed all in one linen and barefoot. It was discovered after they had helped Gwen rescue her brother from Cenred that she was around a month pregnant. At first they thought Morgause or Cenred had poisoned her as she kept throwing up, until Gaius had checked her over. Bringing forth another vision from the Crystal Cave when Merlyn stood in front of a mirror in Gwaine's chambers. To say Arthur and Leon were displeased with Gwaine was a severe understatement.
"I'm fine." Merlyn promised.
"What's he actually doing?" Gwen asked, turning her attention to Arthur when she couldn't get her friend to leave.
"Thinking." Merlyn replied, a teasing smile on her face.

"About?" Gwen questioned curiously.
"You." Merlyn teased, causing Gwen to slap her arm. "Shh." Merlyn said, holding in her giggles as the pair closed the door. "He has to decide upon a quest." Merlyn said seriously, which only left Gwen more confused.
"And crouching on his knees all night's gonna help?"
"Yes, it kinda sounds like magic to me but Uther would never deem it as such. He has to transcend his body so that the quest is revealed to him in a vision." Merlyn said, shrugging her shoulders.
"I don't think you should stay here and watch him. You need proper rest for you and my niece or nephew." Gwen argued.
"I have to. Thanks to Uther, as it's one of the most important days in Arthur's life." Merlyn sighed, she wouldn't admit it but she was exhausted.

"I'll stay with you then." Gwen decided.
"Thank you but I'll be fine. I'm just gonna sit here." Merlyn said with a yawn, as she lowered herself to the floor propping herself up against the stairs. Gwen looked uncertain for a moment before she relented and bid goodnight to her friend. Within minutes of Gwen heading home Merlyn fell fast asleep slumped against the stairs.

***

Early the next morning Uther and the other men of the court scoffed when they saw Merlyn was fast asleep outside the throne room and threw open the doors waking Merlyn up as she climbed to her feet with Gwaine and Gaius's help.
"I really wish you hadn't stayed here all night, Merlyn." Gaius sighed, as they followed everyone in. As they entered they spotted Uther resting a hand on Arthur's shoulder.
"I fell asleep moments after Gwen left." Merlyn whispered.
"It is time." Uther spoke, causing Arthur to come back to himself. "What is the quest you have chosen?" Uther asked, once Arthur was on his feet.
"I can see but one path, Sire. I am to enter into the Realm with the Fisher King and find the golden trident, spoken of in the Legends of The Fallen Kings." Arthur answered, causing shocked twittering to spread around amongst the Lords.