Chapter Twenty-Eight, Kin

As she weaved through the Lower Town with a protective hand over the back of Hope's head holding her four month old daughter to her chest; she finally arrived at the tavern.  After a quick talk with Tomas, the barkeep and owner, over the health of his wife Helen and himself, Merlyn was finally climbing the rickety stairs to the all too familiar room. Knocking sharply on the thick wood with her knuckles Merlyn shifted from foot to foot soothing Hope while she waited.
"Who is it?" A shaky voice called from within.

Pushing the door ajar Merlyn popped her head round with a soothing smile on her painted lips.
"It's Merlyn and Hope." Merlyn announced, the smile still on her face as she stepped into the small room that had two twin beds against the south wall close to the door, two desks against the east, and the west and north facing walls had side tables topped with candles and the contestants belongings, along with three mattresses that were also against those walls. So there were around five people sharing one tiny room, and perched nervously on one mattress facing the door was Gilli. "I've come to see how you are." Merlyn informed kindly.

"I'm fine." Gilli responded tersely. "It's a lot better." He added more kindly.
"Can I have a look?" She asked, concerned. "I'm training as a Physician under my uncle."
"There's nothing to see." Gilli's terse attitude returned, pulling his 'wounded' shoulder closer to him.
"How you fought earlier, that was amazing!" Merlyn praised.
"Really?" Gilli asked eagerly.
"Yes. I'm sure some are going to think you're using magic." Merlyn said seriously, sending him a reproachful look but it was also full of understanding.

"I'm not going to tell anyone." Merlyn reassured him, noticing his fearful expression.
"I'm not using magic." Gilli lied. Merlyn sighed, plucking the ring from a pouch in her belt; catching Gilli's attention.
"It bears the mark of the Old Religion." Merlyn mused, assessing the ring, before she threw it to its rightful owner. "Where did you get it?"
"My father." Gilli responded. "He left it to me when he passed."
"I'm sorry." Merlyn apologised, sympathy coursing through her veins. "Did he have the same powers as you?"

"He was a gifted man, but he would not touch magic." Gilli explained heartbrokenly. "He vowed never to use it because he feared it. He wouldn't even let me talk about it."
"Why?" Merlyn asked in a whisper, clutching Hope closer to her as her childhood in Ealdor flashed passed her eyes.
"He was scared Uther would find out. That the King would discover he was a Sorcerer and that we would both be executed. Even when he was attacked by three much larger men than he; still he wouldn't use magic. Didn't even defend himself." Gilli explained woefully.