Chapter Twenty-One, The Birth

Months had passed and it was now nearing the end of summer. Camelot was streaming with villagers as they prepared their stocks and stalls ready for the Harvest. But today, August 31st, some people were waiting for something else. Earlier that day Merlyn had gone into labour and Gwaine had rushed her from their chambers to Gaius's like the hounds of hell were chasing him all the while Merlyn groaned in pain in his arms. In his rush Gwaine had not noticed that Gwen, Arthur and Leon were following him. As soon as he entered the physicians chamber Gaius ordered he put Merlyn on the cot in the corner while her mother (who had been staying in Merlyn's old room) rushed around collecting everything they may and will need with Gwen's help.

"Out!" Gaius ordered Gwaine, Arthur and Leon. "You three cannot be in here. Out! Gwen we need water."
"Come on, she's going to be fine." Gwen said softly trying to put on a brave face as she shooed the three men out of the chamber so she could leave to get the water.
"But -"
"OUT!" Gaius shouted more firmly and the three men finally obeyed him. But they didn't go far. They couldn't bear to be very far away from the chamber right now, none of them caring about the duties they had to fulfil that day. As far as they were concerned their duty to Merlyn overruled everything else.

They stood in the halls waiting anxiously and wincing at the screams of agony Merlyn let out. All three were anxious and full of nerves, their faces ashen as they paced up and down the halls awaiting for news, while praying said news would only be good news. Waiting for Merlyn's torture to end; for it must surely be torture due to her screams and it was torture hearing them. Arthur would never admit it aloud - maybe only to those closest to him- but he was terrified for his friend, who he valued as his sister. He was terrified she wouldn't make it like his own mother hadn't.

'No! Don't be stupid! Merlyn's strong, she'll get through this!' Arthur thought, running a hand through his blonde hair and down his face. Not knowing similar thoughts were flitting through both Leon's and Gwaine's heads. Hours had passed by and still there was no let up to the torturous screams. They thought they'd surely go mad if they had to listen to this any longer; when suddenly a shrill cry wrenched the air. It was the cry of a newborn babe.

You would think this would alleviate their concerns and worries; but no. Well, it did to some extent but not a lot. They would not relax, they would not breathe a sigh of relief until they knew Merlyn was alright. As they went to turn around to continue their pacing the door opened and it was Gwen who was smiling widely, that greeted them.
"You can come in but don't crowd her or Gaius says he'll have your heads." Gwen warned. Gwen had barely stepped back to open the door when they rushed through it; Gwaine in the lead. Their eyes bounced rapidly around the room until they spotted a tired but happily smiling Merlyn propped up on the cot a bundle held lovingly in her arms with Gaius and Hunith stood nearby tidying up but keeping a watchful eye on both mother and babe.
"Merlyn!" The trio shouted, rushing over to the bed.

"What did I say!" Gaius said sternly, causing Arthur and Leon to stop beside Hunith while Gwaine dropped down to his knees beside the bed, his hands on Merlyn's cheeks as he stared at her in love and concern.
"I'm okay. I'm okay, Gwaine just tired." Merlyn assured, staring lovingly at husband. "Meet our daughter, Hope." Merlyn said, tilting her arms so Gwaine could see the tiny sleeping babe wrapped in a white cloth and held lovingly in her mother's arms. She was gorgeous.
'Just like her mother.' Gwaine thought happily, pressing a tender kiss to Merlyn's forehead and then kissing two of his fingers and gently pressing them to his daughter's. Hope had dark raven hair like the both of them and he would bet his money that she had her mother's bright cerulean eyes that would turn molten gold. Eyes that he loved so much, both the blue and the gold.

He knew many of the other Knights and even the Lords would be disappointed if their wife gave them a daughter first instead of a son, but Gwaine didn't care. All he cared about was Merlyn and his baby girl were happy and healthy. Besides he always said Hope would be a girl and he was right.
"She's beautiful, my Merlyn bird." Gwaine said tenderly, making Arthur and Leon feel like they were intruding as Gwaine tenderly kissed Merlyn on the forehead and then on the lips.
"Hi Arthur. Hi Leon." Merlyn said, when they pulled apart. "Do you want to come meet her?" Merlyn asked, beckoning the two over. As the two stared at the sleeping baby who looked so much like her mother they swore they would do a better job protecting Merlyn and they would protect Hope too; their little niece.

"She's gorgeous." Leon said, smiling widely at his friend.
"Thank you Leon." Merlyn said happily, letting out a small yawn.
"She looks so much like her mother." Arthur whispered, as if afraid he'd wake the sleeping baby. "I promise I'll do a better job protecting you Merlyn. You're my friend, my sister and you've given me a niece. I won't let anything happen to the pair of you, I swear." Arthur promised.
"Thank you Arthur." Merlyn said happily, kissing her daughter's forehead. Unbeknownst to the group, no, the small family in the room Arthur's words and what Merlyn was planning had just solidified Albion's future. As it was like what Grettir had said; Hope was the hope that would help Magic, Strength and Courage unify and strengthen the future of Albion.

 As it was like what Grettir had said; Hope was the hope that would help Magic, Strength and Courage unify and strengthen the future of Albion