Chapter Seventeen, The Fisher King

Less than half a day ahead of Merlyn and Gwaine, Arthur found himself stuck in a sink hole as he used all his might and energy to pull himself free, up on to the other bank where he promptly collapsed having used up the last of his vastly depleting energy. Of course he didn't think it was the bracelet as he just thought it was the effect of the Perilous Lands and why hardly anyone ever returned from here.

***

Later that night, Gwaine and Merlyn had set up camp which was, unfortunately, out in the open, and were cooking up some of their rations while trying to keep warm by the fire. Merlyn rested her head on Gwaine's shoulder as he broke up some tinder to put on the  fire, when suddenly a screeching sound came from not that far from where they now sat. Gwaine's hand hovered over his sword and Merlyn's eyes flickered gold occasionally. It sounded like a dragon, but not at the same time.

"What was that?" Merlyn asked cautiously, having never heard a creature make that sort of sound before.
"A pheasant." Gwaine replied, trying not to worry about his love.
"That was not a pheasant!" Merlyn argued, as the creature screeched again, this time it sounded like there was more than one. "Gwaine, what was that?! And don't you say a big pheasant!"
"I was trying not to worry you, Merlyn-bird. It sounds like Wyverns, perhaps more than one. They're distant cousins of the dragons, but more primitive. Nothing like Kilgharrah."

"So, I might be able to control it - appease it." Merlyn mused.
"Well, I hope we don't find out." Gwaine countered, grasping his sword.
"You can go back to Camelot if you want to." Merlyn suggested. Never wanting to have someone to do something they don't want to do.
"And leave you and our daughter? Never! Besides, I'm not scared of pheasants." Gwaine argued.
"Thank you." Merlyn said, kissing his cheek. "I'm lucky to have you, and Arthur's lucky to have us."

"You, yes. And I'm lucky to have you too, but not Arthur." Gwaine countered, staring intently at his love as he picked up her hand and kissed her knuckles.
"I'd do the same for you. Always." Merlyn declared passionately.
"I'd hope so." Gwaine teased, kissing her tenderly. "You were my first friend, still are, you are also the woman I love and the beautiful mother of my child." Gwaine said, gently placing a hand over stomach. Merlyn smiled covering his hand with her own as they delved into a tender, loving and intimate moment.