Special Chapter

"Dr. Kang, there's someone looking for you." A nurse told Hana as they were in the middle of the  surgery.

"Who is it?" Hana asked, still focused on the patient opened in front of her.

"It's the music academy. They're asking when you're going to pick Sooji up, the teacher is about to lock up."

"Me?" Hana said, looking up. "Isn't it Doyoung's day to pick her up?"

"Um." Jungwoo mumbled, clearly not wanting to get on Hana's bad side. "He picked her up yesterday. Today is you day."

"Crap." Hana grumbled, wanting to smack her face in the wall. "I completely forgot and Doyoung is in surgery too."

Hana thought for a moment before turning to the nurse. "Can you tell her that I'll be there soon. I'll head over right after this surgery is done."

The nurse nodded before exiting to answer the call.

Hana felt terrible. It wasn't the first time she had forgotten her daughter and it was obvious to Sooji too. Hana couldn't help but wonder whether adopting the girl was the right choice, as having two surgeons as parents definitely wasn't good for her child.

When Hana arrived at the music academy, she was surprised to see Sooji sitting on the bench outside, giggling as she ate a bungeo-ppang with a man beside her. Her smile faded as soon as she caught sight of her mother.

"I thought you were in surgery." Hana said to her husband as Sooji clutched onto Doyoung's body.

"Finished early. Patient suffered cardiac arrest in the middle." Doyoung said as he softly patted Sooji's head.

Hana was getting angry though. "Why didn't you tell me? Then I didn't have to rush here."

"I did." Doyoung said, staring into Hana's eyes. "Check your phone."

Hana gulped as she took her phone out, Doyoung's messages right there. She felt terrible for letting her anger get the best of her, lashing out at her husband in front of their daughter.

"Well, let's go home now." Doyoung said as Sooji held his hand tightly. "There's no point waiting out here."

"Appa, can I sit in your car?" Sooji asked, lighting tugging on Doyoung's finger. Hana watched as Doyoung smiled at his daughter, pinching her cheek and making her giggle.

"Of course, sweetheart. We'll meet eomma at home." Doyoung said.

Despite the fact that Doyoung pulled Hana towards him to place a peck on her forehead, Hana still felt her heart drop to her stomach as she watched Doyoung and Sooji walk towards Doyoung's car.

...

"I'm a terrible mother." Hana said, staring blankly at the wall as Doyoung entered their bedroom after reading a bedtime story to Sooji and tucking her in. "My daughter hates me."

"Sooji doesn't hate you." Doyoung said, closing the door behind him before joining his wife on their bed. "She just knows you're busy and doesn't want to bother you."

"Don't lie to me, Kim Doyoung." Hana said, glaring at her husband but Doyoung had a small smile on his face as he slipped under the covers, pulling Hana in his arms.

"Okay, maybe she's a little cautious around you, but she knows you love her. She loves you just as much, but she's scared of disappointing you."

"See, I am a terrible mother." Hana pouted but Doyoung only lightly brushed her hair from her face, cupping her face in his hand.

"You're not a terrible mother. You're just very busy, and both Sooji and I understand that." Doyoung said, giving her a kiss. "Although maybe taking a break from the hospital wouldn't be such a bad idea."